The First UK Co da Serra de Aires Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 FCI and Canine Health including HD View next topic
View previous topic
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Federation Cynologique Internationale (FCI) is the World Canine Organisation. Riitta Pessonen kindly provided this link when I asked her about average hip scores for serras in Finland. if you want to find out more visit: http://www.fci.be/commissions.aspx and explore the site Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I found this site very interesting. But failed to find the HD scores. I'll try again today Rolling Eyes .

What I did find was the FCI Breed Standard for the Portuguese Sheepdog (Cao da Serra de Aires). Seven pages! The standard is dated 30th March 2009. It goes into great depths to describe the perfect Serra. So a great deal to learn.

I do hope our Kennel Club adopts such depth of description when the time comes for Kennel Club recognition. But of course they won't. For future judges of the breed this Standard is a must when judging. Smile
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You did well Gina. It sounds as if the breed standard is the revised one. I will look for it too. It's a shame that it is so hard to find information. One would have hoped that the Portuguese Serra Breed Club was more active -especially if they love the breed and want to see a secure future Confused

Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have looked at the revised breed standard and will post it on the FSC. It does seem remarkably detailed - is this helpful tothe breed Question

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Probably not Pauline Exclamation

The perfect dog that can come up to any breed standard has not been born. These are only guide lines

For the owner of a pet dog it does not matter. But for the pedigree judge he/she has to have some pointers Rolling Eyes I must admit in the past two years I have questioned the pedigree dog world.

One point on the Breed Standard I found funny Smile We have gyspy neighbours living across the road from us (They breed horses). On seeing Daisy for the first time. They said to me that dog trots! Well looking at the standard. She has something right about her Exclamation I'm also glad they included the gallop movement. Most sheepdogs do this. A few years ago you were always asked to gallop your Old English Sheepdog in the show ring. No one does this now. I think they don't like to spoil the dogs hair do Exclamation

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic