The First UK Co da Serra de Aires Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Mother & puppy do they remeber one another? View next topic
View previous topic
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Biochemical Warm Fuzzies

Nespa & Finn will meet Zeta one of their puppies at the 'Meet-up' next Saturday in Gloucestershire. I wondered if they'd remember one another and did a little search:

A misconception exists that dogs don't recognize their offspring later in life. According to Steven Lindsay, a dog behavior consultant and trainer, canine parents can share bonds with their litters that last a lifetime, provided conditions are stable in the first weeks after giving birth

Dogs can recognize their pups even after many intervening years, but it has little to do with memory as people think of it. Wolf pups tend to stay with their parents for the first three years of life, but domesticated dogs rarely get this opportunity. Further, a dog's long-term memory is not as developed as it is in humans.

The bond a bitch and her pups form depends on a biochemical process commonly known as imprinting. The "love hormone" oxytocin is an essential player. If a dog is allowed a proper formative period with her pups -- up to four months -- the likelihood they'll form a lasting bond is virtually guaranteed, says Steven Lindsay.

Lindsay suggests imprinting makes scent and appearance physiological triggers, promoting a sense of familiarity after maternal instinct has faded. The more positive a formative experience, especially by the critical eighth week of the pups' lives, the stronger the imprint and thus the bond.

So we will see Laughing Laughing Nespa had a very good relationship with her puppies and Zeta was 10 weeks old when she went to her new home. Laughing

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think that they do, but Mum can be a bit funny which is often interpetated and not recognising them. This is because she will naturally push them way to wean them.

I know that Wynnie always recognises her Gran Children and will often play with them, where Mum Rosie will push them away.
Peter & Gina willis
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nellie one of my OES used to love seeing her offspring. However she was not keen on her great grandson but loved her grandaughter. My Samoyeds were different Rosie always ignored her offspring Rolling Eyes She loved Sunny who stayed with us but Sanjay who used to go to shows with us, she thought he was too naughty to know Rolling Eyes and he was............

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic