The First UK Co da Serra de Aires Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Fivos View next topic
View previous topic
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,as far i've been writting on the health forum,probably for now on is better to do it here.
I've read all the sara's story and it was really helpfull,i'll avoid doing the very same questions Laughing
I'm going to start trying some of the trainning tips,like "stay" and "wait",they can be quite handy.
Next to our house there are ussually goats and sheeps,as far i just go with fivos until the fence and when they came close by,he smells them and doesn't pay to much attention.I wonder if some time it would be good to put him together with the goats,there are a lot around here and their owners hate when dogs chace them.what do u think?
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't think twice about asking similar questions. Very Happy People do it all the time and the context is often different. About the sheep and goats: my advice would be to get Fivos to ignore them. At one time my dogs would bark and be very inquisitive and go up to horses and cattle. I decided I didn't want any accidents so I have trained them to walk to heal as we go by. I'm not sure can't trust them to ignore them on their own, their herding instinct can be strong. I once owned Afghan hounds and had an unfurtunate experience with them and sheep. Sad The main thing is that you should be the most interesting person/thing for your dog. It's not always easy to achieve and even now it isn't always the case with my dogs. Ways to achieve it is play games and make walks interesting around you. For example to carry a ball or toy to throw, spend time on the walk teaching a skill such as come, sit, down etc. Keep them busy! One person I meet on my walks, her dog never takes its eyes off her. He is always waiting for her to throw the ball she carries. In the first instance you will probably have to teach 'fetch' in your own backyard or even indoors. You might also consider keeping Fivos on a long lead when walking until he always comes when called and acknowledges you as pack leader. This way you always build in success. Just remember you are doing well. Your dogs are lucky to have some one so interested in making them happy. Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Pauline,at this moment i was reading about bonita,this morning was sara Very Happy it's alot of fun to know about others.
In our walks with fivos i ussually don't use the lead because there are no dangereus things around,just the 2 of us(boring Very Happy )he never gets far and until now he always cames when called.But on the road we use the lead and he doesn't really like it,i should do it more often Embarassed
We play quite a lot with the ball in the garden,he learned to bring it back but doesn't give it in my hand,besides,always bites me in the exitment of the play,i wanted to know how to make him stop it and leave the ball smothly on my feet on my hand.
Today we started to lear how to wait,i guess he starts getting the point,some times he stayed and waited until i called him,i didn't get too far,may be 3meters.But most of the times he would just follow me. Very Happy .
Tomorrow again.
Our house is quite small,i have also a daugther 10years old and the other dog...so,shoes and slippers is something that whatever i do are always around,and every evening fivos loves to bring all in the living room Laughing one morning there were 10 different kind Laughing but he never destroed them Surprised as far Smile .I try to replace the things he chews with his toys,o5r a firm no,but i'm not always around.
How long do u think i should walk him??now he go for a 40 minuts early morning walk and 30minuts afternoon.At nigth he's always resteless and wants to play when everybody wants to relax,the days are short so it's difficult to increase the afternoon walk.Any ideas about games to play indoors?it's also getting cold to be out at nigth.Here now it's dark at 5.30pm.
anyway,it's really nice to be able to talk with u people,not many people around here cares for dogs(greeks are really not good with pets Sad )here in the island they just poison whatever animal is disturbing them.That's another thing i need to teach fivos is to never eat from the ground.
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Today i was quite dissapointed with my effords to train Fivos.We went for our morning walk and took Lisa(my other dog) with us,sometime they were running wild and i called fivos back,he looked at me ,them at her and decided it was must more fun to go after Lisa Sad ,i had to fetch him Exclamation .
After a while,having put Lisa home,i took him out again to resume our "stay"trainnig,as yesterday,sometimes he just waits for me to call him ,but most of the times he just cames after me,i'm not sure if he understands what i want from him.
The fun thing is that everyday i take for pee on a small sand path next to our house and when we return home,just before he reaches the road i tell him to wait and sit,that he already learned quite well,most of the times i don't even have to tell him to stop,he does it by himself.
I guess the big problem is when there are distractions,there is the big chalenge Smile .Lots of work in front of us.
How heavy do u thing he will became?on most sites it's wrotten 18kg Surprised ,he's already 14 kg and only 4.5 months old,and as i read about yours they have in general more than 20,males 25kg Question
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I wrotte a mistake,fivos is 5.5 months,not 4.5 as i wrotte before Laughing
Riitta
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

deleted

Last edited by Riitta on Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:23 am; edited 2 times in total
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good to kow Smile ,one of the reasons i choce this race was their small size Laughing i thougth they would be the most 18 kg....ok,Pedro delarue,the breeder told me fivos would be bigger,thet there are mistakes on most discriptions of the race,like the weigth,but it was already to late to chenge my mind,i was already in love with this hairy beuties Wink .
I'm still waiting for the peedigre papers,should be caming pretty soon,i'll let u know.
You refer to Marco as "was" Question
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The serra is a medium sized dog. Finn is around 23kg too. Your dog is going to be great. You are doing so many things that are right. He's getting good exercise and it's interesting being out with you. He's getting about the right amount for a young dog. Then he gets brain exercise when you are training him for short periods each day. Ten minutes at a time is enough twice a day. Plus he gets fun time with his games this is also thinking time too. Bonita is also often restless in the evening. She will start to bark as if asking for a game. We have a game of tug before she settles down. That means me sitting in a chair and she pulling on a rope or rubber grip. She loves it. The game lasts about 10 minutes max and she stops when she's had enough. After that she settles down. Funny isn't it Laughing I will comment some more on the other points you raise later.

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

deleted

Last edited by Riitta on Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:23 am; edited 2 times in total
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So sorry marco's is gone Crying or Very sad i thougth that in general the serras lived longer Surprised ,10years sounds very short a life.It's something i really have problems dealing with,our pets short life.After my sheepard died(28.06.96 to 27.05.0Cool i felt very lost and extremly depressed,crying all the time,so much that my husband who didn't want another dog,finally agreed that it was probably the only way to sheer me up.It did,not emediatly,but after 2 weeks with fivos things good so much better Very Happy ,it's a month now since i last cryed and even my husband falled in love with him Laughing .
Fivos looks so much like Marco,it could be him.I'm trying to figure out how to put pics here...i will same time than u will see how much they look like.
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Good morning,
In greece is 2 hours later than in england,i do wake up early but i don't ussually writte at 8.00am Smile .
Thing are going quite well this last 2 days,fivos finally understood the wait command and is happilly waiting everytime i tell him to.I'm doing 2 different things,either i let him wait and after i walk same meters(as far until 30/40 mts)i call him,or,i just walk way and then retun to fetch him.Both ways is working.Just some times while we are walking,i sundenlly just don't see him anymore,i look back and he just sat and is waiting Laughing i guess he likes the treats a lot Laughing .I have to chech how it will go with distractions....as far is only the 2 of us and things are easy.
Same days ago,may be a week,Lisa just pushed him hard and he falled,since then he is limping from the back leg.I'm avoiding too much running,but is leg seems quite stiffed.Any ideas Idea ?there are no vets in the island and normally we should go to Athens only in 20 days,my daugther has school and it's not easy to go now. Question Question
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well done Laughing It's great to have good news. He is a clever dog. You are teaching him the wait command really well and it is clear that he understands it. I also taught my dogs a release command. So from wait, if I walk on, I then say, OK Finn, come. The OK releases him so that he can come to me. I also get them to sit and wait until I go through a doorway, then say OK so that they know that they can follow. In this way they learn that wait means wait for the next instruction. Very Happy I suggest you also teach him stay. This is different to wait. It means stay where you are and do not move until I come back to you. Start by telling him to sit and stay or down and stay. I find serra are best in a down/stay. Then step back a couple of steps pause and walk back to him. Praise and reward him and release him with OK. Start small and increase the time in a stay and the distance away from him, gradually. Laughing

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Ani, great to have another portuguese around here. I'm also very much in love with Sara, she's very smart and surprisingly calm for a puppy, of course she has lots of energy but still is essentially a calm dog. I also like Sara more than Ana, my 8 years old cocker mix, not proud of it but it's true, also liked my Portuguese water dogs more than Ana, it's just that she has few of the qualities I like in a dog, but still of course she will be mine to love and care till the day she dies. The two of them get along all right but not extremely well. Ana loved the other two dogs, she grew up with them and slept on top of them and was even breast feed by one of them. With Sara, when she came, they would play together very well, but as Sara is growing she tends to pester Ana a lot and the older dog doesnt react well, I have to be always attentive because Ana will atack Sara, not to hurt but to correct, but Sara doesnt submit so they can really have a fight if I'm not paying attention. Happily they both stop instantly when I intervene and have never draw blood. Just have to keep stating the idea that they dont get to decide who's in charge between them, because I'm the only one in charge around here.
I dont have a problem with other dogs passing by because I'm not afraid, but Sara was afraid when she was younger and still gets uncomfortable if the dog appears unexpectedly. And you're right, if you feel uncomfortable Fivos will sense that and respond badly to other dogs. What I do with Sara is get her used to stop and say Hi if the other dog is friendly and calm, and just keep going with no attention to the other dog in other situations. I might show her a treat so she'll focus on me and walk quietly, then furter ahead will praise her for heeling and give her the treat. If she's afraid of a dog that is locked in his yard and is barking, I might tell her to sit and wait for a while, so she realises that the dog is not going to hurt her. She's much better with other dogs now anyway, the other day a pitt sudenly appeared, they where both loose so she started running and he went after her, but he was really friendly so she quickly accepted being snifed. Then, as he was adult, after snifing her lost interest and went back to his owner. That's when Sara decided to run wildly after him, kind of yelling: Hey, c'mon, dont you want to play? Still, proud to say she came back imediatly when I called her.
She's a bit older than Fivos, was born the 19th May. Not sure how much she weights now, but I will weight her this week and let you know. I also want to take some more pictures of her and post them, this last month I've had loads of work and also been ill three times, but am hoping to have a little more time and health from now on.
teresa
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

To train Sara I found a great site, google Sue Ailsby Training Levels and see if you like it, it's suposed to be clicker training and I dont use a clicker but still it's very well explained and easy to follow, I've found it a great help.
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Bom dia teresa,I really would like to writte Portuguese Smile i don't have many oportunities to do so.Doesn't matter Exclamation .
Here in Serifos there are not so many dogs and most are not free,greeks,specially in this kind of small places,treat their dogs and cats really badly,imagine that the children make nasty jockes to my daugther in school because of the way we have fivos Sad .
I'll check the site for trainning.As far,fivos is an adorable puppy,as Sara,he's quite cool and a real pleasure to have around,mostly he understands what i want from him and already learnd a lot fo command words(ok,not so many Smile ,same).What he doesn't like is walking with the lead,sometimes he refuses to walk and only with treats and lots of encoraging words he may decide to start walking.I don't know,whenever we walk in the direcction of the village he has to be pulled all the way,on the way back home is exactly the opposit,walks happily nest to me.The problem is that Serifos is a turistic place,in winter there are not more than 1000 people allover the island and the few we may meet are ussually quite unfriendly Sad ,it doesn't hepl Exclamation I hope in christmas he will get to socialize a bit once we are going to Athens for 3 weeks,at least there are lots of friends who do love him and for sure many many dogs to smell.
This morning we went for a swim,the water is cold and i guess he didn't like it so much,but he swam after me.All wet he looked so thin and small Laughing .Than,because it's a littel cold,i had to chace him around the house to get him to stay still in order to use the hair dryer.It was fun but the house is now full of sand and water Laughing.
Lisa is not much better with him sometimes she plays but is very "bruta"(how to say it in inglish?but he doesn't give up,allways bodering her.I'm affraid Exclamation ,i don't trust her at all and she's much bigger than him(she may be 25kg)but i hope sometime it will get better,may be it will help that he's a male.
hope to hear from you soon
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Ritta,just to inform that the parents of Fovos are Uno d'abroeira and Piva d'abroeira.I just learned that one of his sisters wan yesterday a monografic in Portugal. Very Happy ,i have to go tell fivos about it Laughing
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am sorry to hear that many Greeks do not like dogs. Sad The Biritish tend to be over-the-top about them so I am very biased. The serra can be a little bit stubborn so you are right to work on getting him to do what you want. He is also male. Bribing him with a treat is worth it to get his co-operation. Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was wondering if sometime one of the beutiful ladies i see on the pics album will ever came for holidays is greece Smile who knows for a date or so Laughing .I know he's very young but pretty soon will be wondering about girls.I will post pics as soon as i find out how Embarassed so all can apreciate his natural beuty Laughing .It crooseed my mind this afternoon when i saw an attempt to lift the leg to pee.
A while ago,while walking with the dogs,i decided to reinforce the wait command,well,it was the first time Lisa was with us and i didn't know how it would work.So,i tell Fivos to sit and wait,he does so and lisa also,i walked away and Fivos came strait after me.I went back at told the same thing,both dogs stayed and waited. Surprised .We did it a few times without problem,may be lisa will start obeying as well(she always does what she wants,never listens to me).I guess i'm too soft on them Sad ,my husband is so much better,one way or another the dogs always obey him.
I'll keep trying.
Thanks for your support
Joanna
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Ani, you sound like you are doing great and Fivos seems to be thriving so well done to you and your family! Very Happy Puppies are quite alot of hard work and there seems to be so much training to do ... but it will pay you back greatly later on (once Fivos is past the naughty teenager stage!) Laughing
teresa
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ani, I've sent you a private message, I apologize to everybody else, it's just that it's great to be able to write in portuguese Very Happy
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Good morning everybody,
Defnetly Fivos is starting to lift his leg to pee,isn't it too soon??he's not even 6 months old yet Surprised .
Meanwhile we keep having our daily lessons,things look ok,but i'm really unsure about his reaction when there will be distractions.I'm really looking foward to go to Athens,he needs to socialize.Most of the days he only sees the family,whenever another person or dog shows by he gets very shy and scared.
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Lifting his leg happens when his development is right. His hormones will take a while to settle so he will vary between lifting his leg and not. Fivos is completely normal. Don't make a thing about socialising, you can only do what you can do. As long as he is happy and confident at home he will meet new experiences fine. All serra's seem to assess a situation, watch and think before acting. I think this is sensible. I think this is reserve not shyness or fear. Just ignore any of these signs don't even praise him. This will reinforce the behaviour you don't want. He will take his cue from your reaction. Your training will keep him thinking and focused on you which is good. Laughing Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well done Fivos for lifting your leg!! Laughing Ani, Lola was very reserved with all strangers when she was young, she still has her moments now - sometimes she's very brave and will try to run and sniff everyone who comes close - othertimes she circles them and just sniffs the air around them without going too close! Rolling Eyes I agree that socialising is essential with all dogs but just relax and be calm about it and don't try too hard, Fivos is doing so well you should be proud of him and yourself! Very Happy
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think u are rigth Pauline,it may be reserve instead of fearor shynnes.May be after christmas holidays i'll start bringing him with me to the office,as far i don't because we feed lots of cats around and they are quite agressive.At least he will see same people(not many,but some Smile ).That's something nice about Serifos,i can bring the dog to work with me Laughing .
How's lola going?eating?
May you know how many blood lines of serras exist?For what i see,most of the serras either came from casal da vinha or from quinta da abroeira,are there others?
We were thinking sometime to get a girl Very Happy ,not while Lisa(the other dog we have)lives,but she's already 9 years old.I really like nesperas colouring and she really looks like a girl,a lady Very Happy .
Thanks for your advises
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well done for putting Fivos on your signature. Image

Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here is a photograph of Fivos' father. Uno da Quinta d'Abroeira. Taken, I think, when Uno was a young dog

And Fivos' mother Diva da Quinta d'Abroeira

They are both good looking serras Laughing

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

deleted

Last edited by Riitta on Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:22 am; edited 2 times in total
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes,his mother is Piva not Diva.
How came all of u have their pics and i had none???I asked Pedro several times to send me pics,but....even Fivos ,i saw him the first time when he arrived in Greece.
Anyway,Piva looks very nice and quite hairy Laughing .
Thanks
Riitta
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

deleted

Last edited by Riitta on Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry for the mistake Embarassed I couldn't find Piva so thought it might have been a typo. Rolling Eyes

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Riitta,very nice Smile ,i was commenting to my husband that u have a beutifull site and he sujected to do one also....fivos site Laughing may be later,when we will have another serra Laughing .
Pauline ,i also thougth it was a typo from Pedro delarue Laughing Diva or Piva,they are both nice.
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Good morning serra lovers
We had a very nice morning today,after a brisk walk we decided it was nice for a swim,so,me and fivos went to the beach,one foot in,one paw out,the water is not exactly warm anymore(may be 17C) Laughing ,after some minuts of this in and out stuff,we got in,ok,fivos swam just a few meters,he's not very confident in the water,but did a lot of splaching on the waves.The problem was the after Laughing sand everywhere,fivos in the shower,trying hard to get out,u know,they have lots of hair,when wet carries lots of water....the bathroom was a mess.After some really wet towels,i decided it would be easier to use the hair dryer Laughing ,fivos didn't agree with me Smile ,but i manage to dry him.It was messie but we had lots of fun.
As i told u before,i want to start bringing fivos to the office,the problem are the cats....there may be 20 cats,some of them in the office,whatever i do,they alwyas get in again.May be i will wait for him to grow a bit more.
I'm still worried about his hint legs,the way he walks sometimes gives me the impression that he has displasia,he's so young Sad i hope i'm just overeacting from earlie experiences.In christmas i'll take him to the vet again,i don't know if he can do anything.By the way,does any of u use homeopatic?with good results??
That's all for now,have a nice Sunday
teresa
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Ani, just my opinion but I think the sooner you introduce him to the cats the better, so he'll get used to them from an early age. Sara doesn't seem to be agressive to other animals, she looks at cats with curiosity but doesn't chase them, I dont know if all Serras are like that. Teach him to ignore the cats at first, don't let him chase or bother them, so he doesn't get to think that's an allowed sport, also because they could hurt him, but it shouldn't be too hard to get them all to get along politely, even if they don't turn out to be friends.
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ola teresa and everybody else,
Fivos is just like Sara,he met cats several times,is difficult to avoid them because the island is full,anyway,just like Sara he just shows curiosity and ignores them.My problem are the cats,some of them are very agressive to dogs,Lisa is there everyday with me,she mainly ignores them but they don't ignore her,whenever they have a chance,they scratch her.That's why i say may be is better if he grows a bit so he can protect himself Smile .It's our fault Laughing we feed them daily,but i just can't avoid it,they are so poor and hungry.We even have a box where we collect $ from the turists in order to pay their food and when enougth to bring vets to sterelize them.the plan was to help the stray animals,but there are no stray dogs(people here just kill them),cats are much more so they kind of manage to survive.Sad storie the animals in Greece Crying or Very sad
Tudo bem em terras Lusas?ja estas melhor?
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ola teresa and everybody else,
Fivos is just like Sara,he met cats several times,is difficult to avoid them because the island is full,anyway,just like Sara he just shows curiosity and ignores them.My problem are the cats,some of them are very agressive to dogs,Lisa is there everyday with me,she mainly ignores them but they don't ignore her,whenever they have a chance,they scratch her.That's why i say may be is better if he grows a bit so he can protect himself Smile .It's our fault Laughing we feed them daily,but i just can't avoid it,they are so poor and hungry.We even have a box where we collect $ from the turists in order to pay their food and when enougth to bring vets to sterelize them.the plan was to help the stray animals,but there are no stray dogs(people here just kill them),cats are much more so they kind of manage to survive.Sad storie the animals in Greece Crying or Very sad
Tudo bem em terras Lusas?ja estas melhor?

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic