The First UK Co da Serra de Aires Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Fivos View next topic
View previous topic
teresa
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Muitos parabns, Fivos e Ani Very Happy
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,i've a question,latly i've noticed that fivos has a strong smell,specially when he's a bit wet,his fur,as a friend described,has a "dirty sock"smell Sad ,i wonder if it has somethiung to do with the sea water,although i always rice him after swimming.Just wondering, Laughing
teresa
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My dogs have always had that smell specially when wet but Sara doesn't, I don't know why but she hardly ever smells of dog. And I rarely bathe her, actually I gave her her second shampoo bath today as we went for a walk by a lagoon and the shore was made of thick black smelly mud. The surface looked like regular ground so I slipped on it and fell and she instantly thought it was great fun to run through the mud and was quickly covered in it. Not good in any situation but especially not with a fresh scar on her belly, so of we went home to have a bath.
She has reacted very well to the surgery, it's been 4 days and she looks as fresh as a flower, I have to be carefull not to let her overdo the exercize, because she acts perfectly normal, as if she had no surgery, very happy and playfull.The vet called today to give a full report on the ECG, it confirmed her early opinion that there's nothing wrong with the hearth, Sara just has a sinoidal arritmia which is very common and perfectly normal in young dogs. So I'm very happy, thanks everybody for your support, it's great that she's feeling great so soon.
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Bom dia,good morning,great that sara is already so well and getting beauty treatments with mud Laughing in fact in winter fivos smelled just like wool,this bad smell started with the beach and swimming.I hope in winter it will get way.
So,when are you coming for a visit?
With summer and work i' don't have much time available for fivos so he spends a lot of hours alone at home,and while lisa likes to stay outside,fivos stays only when i'm with him.But i do my best,most of my free time is for him and he keeps being a very happy littel fellowi'm already looking foward for fall and winter.
Nice sunday to everybody
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Have a good Sunday too Ani & Teresa. My job this morning is to brush the dogs in the shade. I was wondering about a bath for them too as it's been pretty hot but I think I'll stick with finding a paddling pool. :lol I tried sparing them with a hose pipe yesterday when I was watering the garden but they didn't seem to like it. Sad They just rushed away - spoil sports Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That sounds like a good idea to have a pool for them Laughing do they get in?
fivos loves to get in the water,he even plays with his ball on the shore,throwing it in and then retriving,sometimes he puts his head all inside Laughing ,but when it's swimming time he doesn't seem to enjoy it Sad i still have to pull him in and even then he's always trying to get out.He's not a water dog Sad .My neigthbors dog is really funny,when he's hot he cames running ,gets in the water,lays down for a few minuts and leaves running again.
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Danni posted a picture of Karli in her paddling pool and I thought it looked great. Go to the photo album click on general photos and you will find it. Laughing Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree Pauline, I must get a paddling pool for Lola too, not sure she'd like it as much as Karli! I have been filling up my bird bath on a daily basis and watching Lola empty it as if it's her outside water bowl! Rolling Eyes
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hot Hot Rolling Eyes this morning i over sleeped and we went for a walk at 8am,it was already too hot,35C,but we got in the sea after and it was not so bad.This next month will be hard on the dogs,i have to try to go with them on the beach after 8pm.Fivos with this lack of exercise is getting too active in the house Sad lets hope for some wind.
Joanna
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow Ani, that is hot - phew, thank goodness you and Fivos have got the sea to cool off in Cool Take care
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Finally a bit of north wind,it's still hot but north wind is dry so it feels much better.
Fivos is getting a restless young male,he's getting very curieus about everything and just likes to hang around barking to everything and everybody Sad i find it funny but unfortunatly the passing people don't agree,our restfull hours on the beach became stressfull,i have to have my eyes on him all the time and for sure everybody around knows his name Embarassed ,yesterday,while thinking that he was laying behind my chair,as he ussually does,i hear a far barking that sounded quite familiar,there he was ,on the road some 200 mts from me having lots of fun barking at people Embarassed even the ball is not enougth to keep his attention focus.I have to aply to all my pacience, in 1 month things should start getting better and my unruly sweety will restart his trainning,ok,not a month,more like 2 Sad .Anyway...it will pass,it's just i get so exausted from work that i would really apreciate some peacefull hours with fivos and instead i'm shouting and running after him Sad it's not his fault.he's all day in the house alone so it's normal that he wants to explore and play.
Also he's getting dominating, he's enjoying chasing the male next door Sad the other is much bigger but just ignores fivos crazy advances,some day he may react.
That's all for the time being
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

He sounds like a boisterous teenager. Very Happy It's true serras need a lot of activity and you do do lots of things with him. Perhaps a long leash would help 'til he remembers he should stay with you. My 3 are boisterous and will bark at other dogs too. I and trying to remind them they should watch me when I say so and be quiet. It's not easy so I sympathise. Very Happy

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

good morning,
That's exactly what i'm doing this last days,if he starts getting too exited i just put him on the leash,ussually he obeys but i've to call him every 5 minuts,he's always finding something interesting to go after Laughing that's how everybody around know his name Embarassed on the other hand he's soooooo cute Laughing .
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi everybody,just an up date on fivos,as summer goes by he's getting more used to all this people and less exited with all,he still doesn't want to be outside on his own and keeps chacing any other dog that shows around,with other males he's getting agressive Embarassed i think i have to became more strict with him,my husband teases me by saying that everybody can see that fivos owner is a woman, if he complains enougth he gets what he wants Laughing i really would love to be able to go with him to classes,that's one of the bad things about living in such a small place.
good weekend for all
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Ani, I was thinking about Fivos and wondering how he is. Good to hear he's full of life! Very Happy Good luck with helping him to be more calm around other dogs. Much of it is about protecting you and also being assertive in his teenage years. I think you are right to insist that he leaves the other dogs alone and comes to you. But that can be soooo hard when it's all so much fun. It takes loads of time Confused Mine will now leave and come (usually) but with lots of barking and even dashing back to the dog for a last word. Confused

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Karli and diesel bark at everything that moves and I have a race track at my garden fence. karli is not a barker, but giant schnauzers are. when she is with me alone, everybody including dogs can walk by. she actually just has a big mouth, when her big brother is around. Laughing it is so hot here, about 35 to 38 C and we stay inside the A.C. all day. by 7 o clock they play and run, because Karli is loaded with energie. did anybody bought a kiddie pool yet? and that really does not help that much. diesel drinks half of it, like it is his personal overgrown waterbowl. karli dries off so fast, she dives in every 10 minutes to stay cool. Very Happy have a wonderful sunday, everybody
danni Cool
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What bliss Laughing Thanks for your call Ani - a greek island in summer, what a delight to hear the waves breaking on the beach and Fivos barking in the background. Laughing He sounded as if he was enjoying himself. Very Happy I agree though that it's hard to find dog friendly beaches in the sumer in the UK too. Sad The number of dog control orders and restrictions have increased significantly. Here it is because a minority of people do not clear up after their animals or control them sufficiently, so we all get to suffer Evil or Very Mad

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

A greek irland out of the summer is even nicer Laughing specially june and september when it's still warm and there're not so many people.May be because i live here all year around and love peace,it always disturbs me when there's so many people around,fivos agrees with me Very Happy but things are not as bad as i thougth would be,we have some hours together everyday,in the morning before work we have a walk and a swim and then late afternoon some time on the beach and another walk,fortunatly in front of my house there's a place where small boats are ancored,so noone can say a word if i swim with fivos in there,also that part of the beach is the less crowded and we manage to play with the ball most days.In the evening i take fivos with me whenever we go to some restaurant that is on the sea shore,he behaves very well,just lays on my feet and waits.
in general things are good
As i told you,you should came sometime for holidays in greece,it's a lovely drive until Ancona and then ferryboat to greece Laughing
Joanna
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh Ani, you paint such a beautiful picture, perhaps we should all get our camper vans and caravans at the ready and drive over for a Serra-Thon in the Sunshine Very Happy Sounds like Fivos is doing really well, especially to sit calmly whilst you eat in a restaurant, what a cosmopolitan dog he is Very Happy
Joanna
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello, good morning Ani, I was just wondering how you are and how are the fires in Greece/Athens now? It must devastating to see such destruction taking place so close to you. Sad
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,thanks for your concern,things are pretty ugly,but we don't really feel it here.But there's a general panic,people leaving in a hurry because their houses just burned etc etc Sad
by the way does anyone has any news on Arrow?
soniacgomes
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi ani ,

i hope everything is ok with you and fivos , danni decided to keep Arrow Wink !

Snia , marlon and magana
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Good morning everybody,there's some time since my last up date on fivos,he's growing into a very unruly young male Laughing last week i went to Athens for 2 days and left fivos with my husband,on the first afternoon after i left they went for a walk on the mountain,the path i always use with him,so,Kostas had both dogs without leash when a motobike passed by,because he knows fivos is very afraid of bikes he holded him until the motorbike passed,but,the moment he lets go fivos started chasing the bike up the mountain Sad he runned for at least 2 kms with kostas after him Embarassed .That seemed a very strange behavior,it's the first time he reacts this way.When finally Kostas reached him,he was very upset and got mad on fivos to witch fivos reacted like getting down like a dead body,my husband got very scared,so scared he told me after that he will never get mad at fivos again Very Happy I wonder why fivos acted like this,i think he was looking for me,but the part of chasing the bike was very strange.
Any ideas?
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What a shock for Kostas Laughing I am glad all ended well Smile I can't think of a reason why Fivos may have acted out of character except it wasn't a typical walk as he wasn't with you. It's possible the event sent him running after the bike to 'find you'? Confused Yes, Kostas has learnt that getting mad with a serra - even when you're very upset yourself - is not the way to get them to understand what they have done is wrong. Fivos just followed an urge or instinct. I have never yet left my dogs with someone else. Michael would not wish to take charge however, if he had to I think Finn would always have to walk on his lead until I returned. He is so much my dog I think he'd go in search of me. The girls no, they'd be fine and trot along. I think. Wink

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Fivos does have a peculiar way some times.Finally i got hold of that book i have been looking for since June,animals in translation,witch may be a help to understand animals point on view,i'm just in the very beginning,but it does seem very interesting,the autor is autist and a psicologist working with animals for 30 years and she belives that animals and autist people see the world in a very similar way,witch means,they give a huge care to detail and they are essencially visual.
May be i will be able to understand fivos better Laughing
Summer is over and he's very happy about it,few days ago i restarted our lessons and he was really entusiastic about it,he remembered everything and was eager to oblige,it was very funny and rewarding Laughing after 3 months of no lessons i was affraid he may have forgoten the all thing,but i'm pleased to see that he really knows what we had worked on all winter.We have to move foward and find new things to learn,a friend of kostas is a dog trainer,he may be able to help us on the few times we will be in Athens.Lets see Laughing
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dogs are funny Smile my bed is very higth and because of the HD whenever fivos wants to get up i lift him,until recently i thougth he couldn't get up by himself until i saw him jumping without any efford when kostas called him.After i realized that when with me he asks permission to came up Laughing he just puts his head on the bed and waits for me to lift him or just to tell him No,witch happens when he's very dirty Laughing
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Finn does the same in the morning to wake me up. I will feel the pressure of his head by me. But if I tell him it's too early and to go back to his bed he will. Very Happy

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sara only does that when she sees I'm really awake. If I just turn in the bed she'll stay put, but if I yawn she'll get up and come investigate. Then she'll put her head in the bed and ask me to get up.
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Good morning,winter just arrived,cold,wind and rain Very Happy this morning was so windy and rainny that we keeped close to the house,lots of playing with the ball and i guess fivos liked the change from the long morning walk,he was very attentive and looked like this morning playing was a nice for him.I noticed something,while throwing the ball i may change the direction and as far he wouldn't know where to go,today,with just a word he understood where he had to go to find the ball.It made me think that somehow the sheepards have to teach them where to go in order to help with the catle,i would love to learn and teach him how to do it,he's so eager to learn and i'm so limited in my knowledge to teach him Sad he's a lovely dog,and a pleasure to be with,in our walks i know that he's always close by and only on the road we use the leash(i'm always affreid of the bikes and cars)we pass betwen goats and i just have to tell him to get close to me,he walks with me and ignores the animals around Very Happy .
So,that's all for today,lovely sunday for all
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Fivos sounds very happy. Laughing Serras are wonderful companions. Laughing Bonita too loves to play with a ball and she brings it right back to my hand. In the garden I change the direction I throw it and she loves to race to find where it is. Here too it's a wet and blustery day, although the sky is beginning to clear so I will go out with the dogs in a while. Good to hear from you. Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Good morning,for what i see there will be no calendar for christmas...here things are quiet,we keep our daily routine,2 big walks a day,lots of evening playing at home since the days got so small,at 5.30 pm is already dark.With the increasing humidity and cold(ok,is not cold yet Laughing )fivos is more uncorfortable with his leg,somedays he just doesn't feel like running,he doesn't limp,but i can see that it may hurt him Sad .At home i just coverded evry surface with carpets and blankts because he's always looking for a spot without it,i guess he gets hot in the house and seeks for a fresh spot,also it doesn't help that we live almost in the sea(just 30mts from the shore)lots of humidity Sad .I do what i can to make him more confortable,even if he doesn't agree with me Laughing ,
This morning i got really mad at him,there's a dog that is always on a rope on our walking path,fivos likes to go close and bark at her,creating a lot of stress on the other,ussually i manage to keep him close to me when we pass that spot,but,this morning he just ignored me and went .... Embarassed i got really mad and lost my ussual pancience,all the rest of the way he came walking behind me looking very sad Sad i don't know,sometimes he's really stuburn.
That's all for now.have a nice weekend.
Joanna
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh Ani, I do sympathise with you, I thought my Briard was stubborn but she was easy compared to my Serra; Lola! Lola did wonderfully well at obedience classes and is reasonably well trained but the minute she leaves my side just recently she becomes a naughty girl indeed! And you are right, when you then tell them off you would think you had beaten them crazy - makes you feel that YOU did wrong and not them! Rolling Eyes Wink
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This morning,after our walk and while we were still on the garden,a man cames with a big box of fresh fish for us.Of course it's nice,but what to do with 7kg of fish when you have a small deepfreazer?so i decided on the spot to clean at least 3 for todays meal.And we went to the beach(i alwyas clean the fish in the sea,too messy for inside the house),i'm in the water with a fish in my hand,when i see fivos swimming around me,having lots of fun with this unexpected swim.I got late for work,had to wash him and ,while i went inside to get ready for work,fivos went to roll himself on mud Shocked ,again i had to wash him and try to dry his fur a bit before getting him inside....i just left,i'm not sure how i will find the house on my return,for sure wet,hope not on the coach.
Two days ago,some people asked to use our electricity for some work on the road(the same that brougth us the fish today),they had a big roll of electric cable on our garden when me and fivos came out in the morning,fivos got his neck hair up and started barking.it was so funny...
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I hope your house was OK when you returned home. What a picture you describe cleaning the fish. Laughing Fivos is a lucky boy Laughing Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Good morning,,
Christmas ,my sister came from Portugal to spend 15 days with us,it's great for me to have her here.Fivos adoped her rigth way,in no time he was linking her,something he doesn't do easyly to strangers,i think he understood that she's family,he's a very clever little guy Laughing .
This days i'm teaching him to pass under my legs in fast motion,it's fun,i guess whatever i may teach him he enjoys,it's like a game and he requires diversity.Probably it's a useless thing to make him pass under my legs,but as far as it's fun it's worthing.
This morning when i woke up,fivos wasn't next to me as usual,my room, as almost all the house has the floor covered in an attempt to make him sleep in warm places,so,i found him sleeping under a table,probably the only spot without carpet Sad
That's all for today.A nice sunday to all

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic