The First UK Co da Serra de Aires Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Daisy Updates View next topic
View previous topic
Peter & Gina willis
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Spring has truly arrived in Kent. Daisy has suddenly come alive again after her winter hibernation Rolling Eyes Spending her time tearing around the garden at 100 mph with Herbert. She certainly has a smile on her face and at last we can get out for some nice long walks, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy She is so full of energy it's very hard trying to keep up with her. The more walks we do the more energy she seems to gain............................. Rolling Eyes
Jojo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

LOL, I'm finding the same with Lola, I expect her to be exhausted but within 30mins she's up, playing and ready to go again! Shame I'm not Embarassed Wink
Peter & Gina willis
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm so pleased we are not the only ones - I thought it was our age Exclamation
Daisy was so serene yesterday when we visited my elderly Mother and so well behaved but once we arrived home....................HELP Embarassed Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Poor Herbert & Spud Rolling Eyes
If you want a bundle of fun and energy buy a Cao Da Serra De Aires Shocked
Peter & Gina willis
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well it's SPRING Very Happy

Daisy has a new boyfriend Shocked The Cockerel who lives across the road Exclamation He keep visiting our garden. It's after her all the time and she in return loves the attention Rolling Eyes HELP!

Also this Easter weekend we have a lodger - West Highland Terrier - Scobbie is here for 3 days - Daisy is in heaven Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wink
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

She is a puppy at heart. Give her a hug from us. Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

EXCITING NEWS! Very Happy Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Channel 4 are making a new documentary about Cats and Dogs used in advertising - called "Star Paws". Our Spud is going to be featured and today they came to film at our home, they previously filmed at a Dulux photo shoot a couple of weeks ago in London. Daisy today of course was trying to get into the picture and hopefully will be seen walking with Herbert in our village recreation ground with Spud.
I do hope Daisy does get a look in as it will be so nice to see a "Serra" on TV. Cool

The documentary will go out sometime during September. I'll keep you posted.
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This is exciting Laughing I look forward to seeing it in September. Real fun Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Daisy it seems has come out of her Winter hibernation Exclamation In fact, she has gone mad Rolling Eyes It must be the hot sunshine........................She just loves to be out in the hot sun. Her sudden bursts of energy are driving us both mad. Long walks make her worse. She jumps all over poor Spud who is now an elderly gentleman and even Herbert can't keep up with her Embarassed
We were away at the weekend and my house sitter looked after Daisy and Herbert in his report he wrote "BOTH DOGS SURPRISINGLY CALM"! Shocked Shocked Shocked
I don't know what planet he is on.............................. Rolling Eyes Perhaps he should move in Laughing
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This made me chuckle Gina Laughing I can just imagine her! Finn & Nespa are just back from Derbyshire where they had long walks but they never once became excited about their new environment. They just stuck to my heels like good sheepdogs I suppose. Wink

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I like it is he free in a couple weeks when the pups are up and about
Peter & Gina willis
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well my house sitter is an ex-army man..... So perhaps that is what we all need to train our dogs or us Wink He also vacuums the house before he leaves Very Happy
Good luck when the puppies are out and about - and all that hard work that goes with it.
Peter & Gina willis
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We had to take Herbert to our Vets last week as he has been having problems with hair growing into balls and mats in his feet mainly due to the the wet winter and his enormous coat and I had to admit defeat in his grooming Rolling Eyes .
The first thing our Vet said was "How is my Daisy"!!!!!!!!!!!! Well at least she has another fan............................. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
She is such a well loved dog around these parts................... Shocked Shocked Shocked
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well she is quite a character isn't she, bless Laughing Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Daisy had her 3 monthly anal glands service carried out today Exclamation Rolling Eyes
We've not experienced this problem with our dogs before.
Vet said to Peter how calm she was and oh so good Shocked Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Daisy is so relaxed as the temperature outside is 34C Rolling Eyes She has at last decided that this temp is too much for her and is now relaxing on our sofa in the cool sitting room............................. Smile The boys are puffing away but amazingly keeping cool in the hall.
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've not had a dog that's had that little problem. I know Nespa can use hers like a skunk if she's upset. Phew. Cool

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

After spending hours trying to comb out Daisy's matted undercoat (the undercoat that Serra's are not supposed to have) Peter is exhausted. We have this problem every Summer with her. Do other owner's in the UK have this problem Question
The weather is very hot here today 30 + C We plan to give Daisy her yearly bath tomorrow. She looks lovely when groomed but the matts come back almost immediately. HELP!!!! Rolling Eyes Her coat gets more matted than my Old English Sheepdogs. Embarassed
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nespa's coat seems to loosen - not exactly shed - and for a while I have to spend more time carefully combing out her coat or we have mats. Finn - never. It is that blessed undercoat. At its most problematic I comb her twice a week. Otherwise its once a week for an hour and a half Cool I had a call from Andrew who owns a young serra really frustrated with trying to manage the stage of moving from puppy to adolescent ( and then eventually adult coat) as well as the undercoat loosening. He's been underpressure for time and her coat has become full of really hard mats. His groomer won't help now as it will take a long time and be hard on his dog. He's working out what to do. If it's that bad I suggested a really good cut and start again may be the easiest solution for the serra and for him. He'd welcome some advice and encouragement. I'm going to put the topic up as a separate topic and on the serra's Facebook too.

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Daisy had her yearly bath today as it was hot and I knew that we could get her dry. She looked lovely...................... Very Happy
She took her afternoon siesta and then someone knocked on our front door and all hell was let loose. Daisy had a fit. She has not had one for three years since being spayed. I have no idea what triggered it off. Herbert did go berserk when the caller stood in our porch. It's funny as both Herbert & Spud had been fussing over Daisy all morning previous to what has happened. I thought they just fancied her because she looked so good. I know Herbert has an instinct for sniffing out people who have serious illness this we acknowledged last year because he just sits down beside whoever is ill but this is another story and have kept quiet about it as it has become disturbing so I do get very worried if he does this. Daisy came out of the fit and was very loving and is now calm. She has been chewing her feet again - I think this is due to the grasses and the hay making going on. Hopefully this is just a one off.
Peter & Gina willis
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Daisy went to the Vets today for a check up. She has been very depressed and not her usual self since the fit last week. She had been chewing one of her back paws previous to this and before the fit was holding her back leg up in the air. We had tried the bathing in Hibbiscrub and ointment but to no avail. Today at the Vets was given anitibiotics and she had a blood test. - Thankfully everything is okay in that department Very Happy We just hope that now she will get back to her normal self. Vet suggested Valium after any further fits. But this is the first time in 3 years she has had one. Vet thought that the very hot weather has caused this to occur again and possibly dehydration. I'll let you know how Daisy progresses. We was looking forward to taking up to Bakewell next week for a little holiday but will have to see................
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It should be cooler in Bakewell. I do hope you are able to go. Poor Daisy, get well soon. P.S It's not a grass seed in her paw? One of our family's dogs recently had one removed by a vet. It had flaired up in a very short period of time.

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Pleased to report Daisy is a little better today and has decided to eat Very Happy
My Vet said yesterday that the Antibiotics would take 3 or more days to kick in before the inflammation would go down. She did check her pad for grass seeds and did not find anything also for broken toe nails.
I think the fit really did take it out of her but hopefully she is on the mend. Bakewell ................really don't know at the moment if we will make it. We were hoping to take her away on her own as the boys have had all the fun and days out this year.
Peter & Gina willis
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just to let you know that the Channel 4 Documentary called "Star Paws: The Rise of Superstar Pets" is going out on Wednesday 27th August 2014 at 9.00 p.m. They came to film at our home and Daisy was around and hopefully you might see her. Spud is the Star of course but Herbert and Daisy were filmed in our garden and local recreation ground but this might end up on the cutting room floor Rolling Eyes .
I know Spud will love seeing himself on TV as he can be quite a Diva and is aloof to everyone around him roll: Embarassed But Daisy always puts paid to that Very Happy

Pleased to tell you all that Daisy has fully recovered from her recent illness Very Happy
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's in the diary - thank you for letting us know. Very pleased to hear that Daisy is now fully fit.

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hope you saw a little glimpse of Daisy in the documentary "Star Paws: The Rise of Superstar Pets"! She was walking down the lane with Herbert & Spud and a shot when the Postman came................... Embarassed Shocked Shocked ! Well Herbert did show up his mad character Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes - he is an Old English Sheepdog after all but Daisy does help out too that's the Portuguese sheepdog side Embarassed ............but I'm pleased to say he is very well behaved when we are out working Very Happy Spud has been the absolute Star in all of this. Completely calm and loving the attention but not showing his feelings. Newspaper interviews - don't believe what they are saying - He would get out of bed for sausages not over 500 Exclamation - Breakfast Show appearances etc., What a week - we now go back to normal life - thank goodness. Very Happy Very Happy The show can still be viewed on Channel 4 iplayer 40D I believe.
Scooby the West Highland Terrier is staying next week so Daisy will have a nice girl companion and hopefully bring out her feminine side Very Happy Smile
Peter & Gina willis
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well Scooby (WHT) has returned home after her 10 day stay. Daisy is missing her friend and the boys are all back to normal Very Happy and the house is very quiet Laughing

Over the past couple of weeks I've had problems with Herbert and Spud as they thought that Daisy was in full season (She was spayed 3 years ago) so we now know something is going on and she might be producing hormones to imitate a season. (She does not have a discharge). It got so bad the week before last Herbert was rampant and Spud was not much better. So we took Herbert off the Vets for a Tardak jab.(It's a temporary castration jab) Shocked It took 5 days to work but now he is back to his normal self and leaving Daisy alone. I have never had to do this before. Daisy previously had 2 fits around the time of her season. So when she had another fit in July, followed by another quite quickly one wonders whats going on. My Vet said she can have a blood test to see if she is producing the required hormones to make the boys think she is in season and it would be difficult to operate as she wouldn't know where to start but I'm sure we had this test done before. She also thinks she will have to go on a hormone course, I'm not in favour of this though. Daisy is fine in herself.
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This sounds complicated Gina! I hope a way to resolve it can be found without too much difficulty. The only experience I've had was Finn mating & achieving a tie with Nespa despite Finn having been castrated. Confused It was within 12 month period and is now some years ago. Things eventually calmed down. Good luck Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Can you believe it Daisy is celebrating her 6th Birthday TODAY!!!!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The Birthday Cake is ready and she will be sharing it later with the boys!!!!

AND VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALSO TO HER LITTER MATES Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Time passes so quickly. Happy Birthday Daisy - I bet she's still as puppy-like as every. Laughing Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad you liked Daisy's birthday photo's. She had a very quick comb out for the photo-shoot. Her coat is more under control at the moment but I am resorting to cutting down through the undercoat knots as it would be too painful for her to try and get them out by combing alone.

Herbert is going to be neutered tomorrow as the jab for temporary casteration has now worn off and he is back to being rampant again and I can't leave the two together in a room without supervision. Hopefully all will settle down in the coming months. Daisy is fine in herself but obviously giving off some very interesting smells to my boys. Rolling Eyes
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hugs & pats to them all. Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well at last all has settled down in our house. Daisy chewing her feet as per usual - she hates wet grass. Herbert has now finally got over his op and is turning out to be quite a nice little boy at( 50kilo's in weight) Rolling Eyes My Mother aged 90 has bought the dogs Christmas presents (Squeakers) which will be de-squeaked within seconds, so something to look forward to Christmas morning.
Spud will be at the Dulux Children's Christmas Party tomorrow to celebrate, keeping over 130 children amused. Daisy & Herbert will be sulking at home with our dog sitter! Or maybe they are the lucky ones Shocked Laughing
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Enjoy! Love to you all. Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Daisy wishes every one a HAPPY NEW YEAR Very Happy

She is in her normal place of hibernation - on the sofa, looking forward to the Spring Wink

Oh! she has just woken up and is now beside me in her basket bed next to my desk and back to sleep!
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Happy New Year to you too. None of the dogs likes cold damp weather Sad

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Happy New Year to you all - my lot are hidding in the warm and dry!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic