The First UK Co da Serra de Aires Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Pesticide and weedkiller treatments View next topic
View previous topic
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am fortunate to live in the countryside where I can enjoy good walks across the fields with my dogs. This evening I met a young woman with her dog. We usually exchange greetings. She told me that her dog had been so ill over the last week it had nearly died. Sad Fortunately, the vet had been able to save the dog which had fallen into a deep coma. The cause was pesticide or weed spraying over the crops growing in the field. Her dog loves to eat grass and had ingested enough to poison it. Although the farmer had put up signs warning of recent spraying they were not on each entrance to the fields so she was not aware of the potential problem. I guess the timing of her walk was very bad as it must have been a very recent treatment. I think these treatments are supposed to become inert very soon after spraying. I suppose too we should all be careful when out walking. It made me think of the effects on other wildlife - for example there are skylarks nesting in the field - and of course on people. There have to be safer solutions. Thank goodness her dog is now recovering well. Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What a frightening time for that poor dog owner and poor pooch, thank goodness he's now recovering but what a scare. You're right, I know we all benefit from our farmers and they do have a hard job but surely there has to be a safer way to ensure good undamaged crops without the threat of serious illness (or worse) to all wildlife and humans.
Peter & Gina willis
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We are surrounded by fields and everytime they are sprayed we bring our dogs indoors. We learn't from this some years ago when we lived in the country which was surrounded by crops. Everytime the fields were sprayed our dogs got tummy problems! We were lucky though our dogs did not die. But it took many weeks to get them better. I did contact the contractors who sprayed the fields but they denied it could effect animals. Of course you learn from experience! Don't believe what you are told. There is a big cover-up on the pesticide/crop spraying industry. After all it is big business.

You also have to be very aware, when the grass verges of roads are sprayed with pesticide. Many dogs have died through poisoning. Crying or Very sad
So be on your guard during the Summer months when out walking with your dogs.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic