The First UK Co da Serra de Aires Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 How do you keep your dog cool? View next topic
View previous topic
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Image When it's really warm what do you do to keep your dog Image
I guess lots of fresh water always available as usual.
Image I walk in them woods so that we stay out of the sun. Smile In the summer I never leave them in the car even for a short period - it's too dangerous. The exception may be in spring or autumn in good deep shade with no chance of the sun getting on to the car and with lots of ventilation. I check on them frequently. I put foil shades over the window. We don't walk on roads - ouch! Shocked I am also going to get a paddling pool. For my feet too Laughing

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I must say my walks don't vary that much between summer and winter. I do bring much more water and tend to choose walks were's shade, for both our sakes, and also don't leave her in the car during summer, but we still walk for miles, and she takes it pretty well, she loves walking and exploring and the heat doesn't seem to bother her much. Were I live the summers are not very hot, thankfully (and winters not very cold), for instances here I rarely sweat unless I'm making exercize. When we're training I often put water over her head so she doesn't over heat. And I noticed she lost at least half her hair when spring began, wich probably helps.
Joanna
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I keep Lola cool in much the same way. We take our usual walks but very early in the morning - 7am - 7.20am and later in the evening than normal about 6pm as there's usually a bit of a breeze then too. Mind you, I open the french windows and Lola will always go out in the garden but does find some shade under the gazebo we have put up. We made a small 50min journey over the weekend with Lola in the car and made sure sun shades were put up on the windows and the air conditioning on full! I have spoken to a friend with a Tibetan Terrier who hoses him down before his evening walk to keep him cool but there's no way Lola would let me do that without putting up a struggle, she's ok having her feet hosed (quickly) but not a full body shower! I know who would get most wet Wink Laughing I would like to get a paddling pool and shall have a look around if I get out this weekend (I've hurt my leg at the moment and can't drive!) but I wonder if they will have sold out due to the heat here in the UK at the moment Rolling Eyes
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It seems that you have lots of heat in England Laughing i wonder what you mean by hot Question Question here as far is not so hot,around 30/32C,sometimes it can go until 40C,not so often because of the sea.But i think it's already hot enougth.Me and fivos have our morning walk around 7a.m,then we ussually get in the sea for a short while.Until 5p.m fivos is in the house where i may use air condicioning if too hot,then we go to the beach,stay in the shade for a while,ussually if not too hot we play with the ball,we get in the water over and over again and he really cools down,sometimes he even tembles,ok,fivos at the moment doesn't have his full hair back,so for sure he cools faster but also warms faster.as far there's not many people around so we stay in the beach for 2/3 hours,he plays and runs and swims so we just don't go for a walk,most of the days even at 8pm it's too hot for big walks and here there are no places with trees and shade to walk Sad we do our best,he looks happy with this arrangements.
wishing great splachs for all of you
Joanna
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok ok so we're not used to lots of heat over here in England! Laughing It's up to between 28 and 30 degrees here today which I know isn't that hot for you guys but for us and our dogs it's something we're not used to very often. Wink I love the sound of hanging around the beach for a few hours and it's such great exercise for Fivos but unfortunately even though I live close to the beach dogs aren't allowed on it in the summer months. There are a few areas with water where dogs are allowed but there's no shade at all. It sounds to me like you've got a great way for cooling Fivos off - I know I would love to have some air conditioning in the house at the moment especially at night - Lola sounds like a steam train sometimes! Laughing
Joanna
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just been onto the Friendly Briard Club website and there are some great suggestions for keeping your dogs cool and entertained in the heat. Buy some new tennis balls, soak them in water for a good while then pop into a freezer bag and the freezer for 24hours. Take one out, throw for your dog and let them enjoy playing and chewing a cool toy! Making huge ice cubes out of cut-down plastic bottles then letting your dog have the huge ice cube to lick (in the garden to avoid puddles on your carpet!). Ice cubes with small pieces of ham in to give your dog a treat once it's melted is also a good idea. Cool Cool
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's hot there,here because of the sea it's not so bad.But,you have trees and green gardens,here everything is dry.Everything has it's good and bad side Laughing
danni
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hey, just buy a kiddie pool. Karli loves it and she even goes under and comes up snorgeling. it is really funny. danni
AJMOM
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We also go out early in the morning and later than usual at night. Last night it didn't really cool down until around 9pm, so it was a very late walk. He does get upset his routine has changed but it is for his own good. I also put him in the bathtub and soak him with warm water, especially his underside. (I do this before the walk and sometimes again when we get home altho not as much water then.) He can be totally dry on top within 15 minutes in this heat. We also carry a spray bottle as well as a couple liters of water & a bowl for him.
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Some good ideas here folks thanks. Very Happy We're just back from nearly 2 weeks away in Northumbria and the Lincolnshire Wolds. The first week was very hot and humid and of course no breeze. We were in moor land on Hadrian's Wall and because of the weather the flies were a bit of a nuisance. Yuk Sad At times they seemed to swarm around the dogs but their coats kept them from biting them Smile I even sprayed their hair on their heads with fly repellant with fingers crossed it wouldn't cause a problem. Confused Fortunately all was well. Very Happy The car wasn't a problem with the air conditioning on and for the second week we were on the coast which was cool and fresh and no flies. The dogs loved it miles and miles of open beaches magnificent.Will post some photos soon. Very Happy
PS I hope your leg is better soon Joanna Very Happy

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds like you (and your pack) had a great time Pauline - look forward to seeing the photos. Hubbie and I are off in a couple of weeks to Upton upon Severn so shall be walking on the Malvern Hills which will be nice for us all especially Lola. I shall pack plenty of insect repellent just in case! I do hope the weather is kind to us - not too hot but dry at least.
P.S. Leg much better now thank you Pauline Very Happy

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic