The First UK Co da Serra de Aires Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Keeping teeth clean, a bit of give and take - Bones View next topic
View previous topic
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Every couple of weeks my dogs get big marrow bones to gnaw. It keeps them happily busy for ages and even days. Very Happy It's great for their teeth and none of them has any tartar build up. Gnawing cleaned Nespa's teeth brilliantly, as when she first arrived, her teeth had loads of tartar that needed removing. Sad Anyway life is OK when the bones are first given to them and each finds a quiet place to settle and chew. Very Happy But eventually Finn wants all 3 bones for himself. Cool He will gather them together by taking them from his girls and lie on guard making sure they don't take them back. Sometimes as I have mentioned before he will bury them. I can usually negotiate a return to a bone each for a while but eventually the time comes when the bones have to go. I have to say they are each brilliant at letting me take the bones from them, they have never shown any resistance even though they may sniff around for a while. Do you do anything in particular to keep your dogs teeth healthy? When I took Bonita for her health check I noticed the brushes and pastes available to clean teeth. I just can't see my dogs liking that and I wouldn't want them to become 'mouth shy' Wink

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I brush Charlie B and Fred's teeth fairly regularly and both have taken too
it amazingly well - helped by chicken flavour toothpaste I think. I started out using a fabric finger brush but was quickly able to move on to the bristled brush.

I did start giving them each a bone once a week, but had similar issues with 'hoarding' - by Fred - then the subsequent search for somewhere suitable to bury them, followed by frequent trips to the garden to check they were still there. It all got too much when he woke me at 3am one morning just to go outside and check on his bone Exclamation I now give them hide dental chews every other day - Charlie is usually able to finish his before his 'friend' decides to get greedy.
teresa
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I usually give Sara and Ana cow hide bones and those treats that are supposed to clean teeth. Ana always wants to have hers in the yard, while Sara chews hers at home, which is not bad because they sometimes grumble with each other about this and that. I used to give my other dogs raw bones often and they where great at cleaning their teeth, but I can't have Sara chewing that in the living room, and I don't like the idea of them both alone in the yard with something worth quarrelling about. Luckily they both have good clean teeth.
Peter & Gina willis
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've tried practically everything for cleaning dogs teeth. Can't give my dogs bones as it disagrees with their stomachs. (Hairy-dogs not nice)!
Just finished a 3 year experiment using"PlaqueOff", (you add to their food daily). It worked for the OES but not for my Samoyeds. So have discontinued as it has become very expensive. I do clean my dogs teeth once a week and use dog toothpaste. I did get a telling off from one Vet (never to use any toothpaste containing Fluoride). I always used to use Smoker's toothpaste but it is difficult to find one without Fluoride. (This toothpaste was very successful). I can't see why Fluoride would act as a poison to dogs after all our water supplies nowadays contain this chemical. So what is it doing to us? I don't find the dog toothpaste so effective.
I also use a tooth scraper - made especially for dogs. Plus they have raw hide chews.
Daisy loves having her teeth cleaned. It's just a case of getting them use to the brush during the grooming routine.

Having said all this my dogs have all had to go into the Vets for dental cleaning after the age of 7. I really do try
Embarassed Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
danni
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I started diesel and karli with brushing their teeth today. with Arrow, I don't think it is a good idea yet. they both did very well, but of course diesel wanted to eat the whole tube, if I would have let him. I tried peanut flavour. danni and crew Rolling Eyes
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,that's something i never payed much attention to Embarassed Leonidas until he died had very nice clean teeth(he was 12)and lisa,already 9 years old has very white clean teeth.To fivos i give him once in a while some treat for tooth cleanning,but it's very expensive for daily base,bones are the nicest solution,but there's always the problem of lisa wanting all the bones to herself. Laughing i may try to separate them while having their bones.
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think I am now tempted to try brushing again. I did it sometime ago using a brush that just fitted on the end of a finger. I will still give them their bones. I never leave them alone with them and if necessary I wipe the dog's fronts down when they have finished. It just gives them so much pleasure. Very Happy

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hi, what kind of bones do you all give your dogs for cleaning their teeth? karli does not like rawhide bones and they not really good for them. right? Question danni and crew
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I buy one of 3 types of bones but all are large 'marrow' bones from the hip joint of beef animal. They are big and hard and therefore there's no danger of splinters. The first type and their favourite I buy from my butcher. In the UK they cost pennies. I put the bone into boiling water for 10 minutes to sterilise it, then dogs have it after it's cooled. They are in great demand! The second type I buy from a pet supplier. It's the same bone but has been baked. My pet shop calls them postmans' legs. The final type are also sold at a pet shop. These are smaller a section through the shank of the bone. They are bleached (?) white and filled with a tripe mixture. These are their least favorite. I found that the hide chews became chewed into the hair on their legs and around their mouths. It was a devil to remove if it was left to become hard. Of all of the types the butcher's bones are the most ethical. My butcher knows where all his animals are raised, how they are looked after and slaughtered. Their welfare is important. The other types - who knows? My conscience doesn't feel good sometimes. Confused

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for that Pauline, I think I'll go and have a chat with my local butcher, afterall it's good for our dogs to have a well deserved treat and if it cleans their teeth as well - it's a good job all round! Very Happy
AJMOM
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As my dog is on BARF diet, he gets a lot of raw bones and has fantastic teeth & gums. The bones are bought at the butchers and then frozen to kill off any unwanted "side affects". He's had bones since he was a baby so no problem digesting them.
I would never give rawhide chews as they can do alot of internal damage by "gumming" up. Check those "teeth cleaning" treats as they tend to have sugar in them.
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I also give them once in a while a marrow bone,but because greeks are peculiar with animals Crying or Very sad i have to ask the butcher for "soup bones with marrow"and he obliges without charging,whenever i asked the bones for the dogs he gave me impossible pieces of sharp bones Sad .So,we are having bone soups often Laughing .
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's exactly right Ani the bones are good for making beef stock too Laughing

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic