The First UK Co da Serra de Aires Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Cost of flea, tick and lice treatment View next topic
View previous topic
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I had a real shock today. Shocked Usually I get the dogs' Frontline treatment when they have their check ups. The cost of this has been included in the overall bill and it seems I might have been careless in not checking the costs. Today, I collect a supply of 12 Frontline pipettes from my vet. It cost me 92.47 Shocked I couldn't believe it. I shall query it more tomorrow. I looked for it on-line where I could buy the same amount for around half the price (58.77). I would need a prescription to buy it so I guess the vet's charge included that. I probably would have to pay postage too but nevertheless I feel that the price I have paid is excessive. So I shall go and get an explanation tomorrow. How much do you pay and how frequently do you treat your dogs? I usually do it around 6-8 weeks in the summer. Have you noticed any price increase? I really don't think I have ever know it to be so expensive Sad

Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just to say problem resolved. Very Happy Laughing I returned the Frontline to my vet and was refunded for the full price. Good people. Laughing I then bought a prescription from my vet (6.84) for what is needed and send it to my on-line supplier. Cost to me reduced by more than a third, plus free postage. All is well. Laughing I guess you all knew this from the beginning Embarassed

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I certainly didn't know this but will do the same next time I need a new supply. Thanks for the tip!
Peter & Gina willis
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad you got a refund. I use Frontline also but have purchased on-line for sometime. No prescription required for this product from Vet-Medic and postage is free. www.vet-medic.com looking at their Brochure (March 2010) the price for a Serra (weight 20-40kg) would be 29.68 for 6 single pippettes but if you purchase 2 or more pkts - 24.75.

I can't use this product on Spud as his white coat goes orange! I have had expert advice from the maker's and they say it's because of the alcohol content. It does not affect my Samoyed though!

On my Vets advice I now use Advocate treatment it's for lung worm and flea and tick treatment but does not cover worming. It's very expensive the last course for four dogs cost 100.15 but I will have to go down the same path as you Pauline and get a prescription in future for this product. Rolling Eyes
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

To be fair to my vet his price was comparable with 'Pets at Home'. Frontline Combo has to have a prescription but lung worm Gina, in the UK? Lord! what with heart worm too. Help Shocked

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes! I'm afraid it is with us in Kent (Lung worm). Picked up from toys in the garden bones etc., So beware - wash all dog toys etc.,
What next..................... Rolling Eyes What with mites etc., another product I had to use last year Rolling Eyes

Sorry I only use Frontline ordinary not the combo. Therefore the cost would be cheaper.

All I used to use for years was Deresect Shampoo - made by Beechams purchased from Vets. It made the dogs coats look lovely and smelt wonderful! Then the EU banned it................... Rolling Eyes I never had any problems then with flea, mites etc., and my dogs coats were in excellent condition. Very Happy and my dogs lived to a really good age with no ill effects.
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you for the information. I will now gather the toys up and wash them. Sad Fortunately I only leave bones with them for a day or two, the last lot were recently consigned to the bin. I will find out more about this deadful nematode Twisted Evil

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic