The First UK Co da Serra de Aires Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Lungworm et al View next topic
View previous topic
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I followed up Gina's comments about lungworm. The information available confirms: It can now be found throughout the UK. Dogs and cats can become infected by eating infected slugs, snails and sometimes frogs. This can happen accidentally when a slug or snail falls into a water bowl or is attached to a bone or toy. Keeping bones and toys, bowls etc clean and clear of slugs and snails is a deterent. Dogs can get it too from sheep or cow poo especially if the dogs eats it Shocked
Bonita had her annual check up today and I talked to my vet and, like Gina's vet, he said they now recommend the monthly use of Advocate spot-on treatment. It is effective against: lungworm, fleas,roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, heartworm, mites and biting lice. It's expensive but removes the need for other treatments so perhaps the cost levels out a bit. It is available on-line with a prescription. It is not effective against tape worm or ticks - amazing given the number of other parasites it kills Confused So there's still the need for Drontal every 3 months and having a tick remover at hand Rolling Eyes

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic