The First UK Co da Serra de Aires Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 No bitch to have more than 4 litters View next topic
View previous topic
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The British Kennel Club is considering requiring breeders to ensure that the bitches they own have no more than 4 litters in the dog's life time. This is to limit intensive breeding and improve the health of puppies and mother. Interesting idea - as yet I haven't read any responses from breeders. I woonder what it will be Wink

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It's also been anonouced this week that the Kennel Club will no longer register puppies born by caesarean section from a bitch who has already had two such operations. But it will be up to the Vet's to report to the Kennel Club. This will come into force on January 1 2012.

I think this is a very good idea. What do you think?
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

To me both restrictions seem good ways to protect the bitch and strengthen the breed. Certainly no breed should be maintained where the bitches of that breed cannot give birth naturally. I realise there may be instances of complications that require such intervention but it should not be the expected way that birth is achieved. It will cause much debate I think Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Pauline Martin wrote:
The British Kennel Club is considering requiring breeders to ensure that the bitches they own have no more than 4 litters in the dog's life time. This is to limit intensive breeding and improve the health of puppies and mother. Interesting idea - as yet I haven't read any responses from breeders. I woonder what it will be Wink
Very Happy
Quote:

We are of the same opinion. A breeder shall improve his breed insted to produce puppies for trying to make monney.
Ernst Rutschmann

Catherine
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

as an "family breeder" my dogs have never more than 4 litter , my dogs have had 0, 1 or 2 litters in their life not more!
my dogs have never had a puppy before fully grown, for me a bitch should not reproduce before its 2 years.
It depends what you looking for ... some people love their dogs ... others benefit from it they prefre money Evil or Very Mad !

Peter & Gina willis
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's always the serious breeders that maintain standards. They are the ones who want to promote healthy dogs. After all we all want our dogs to live forever.
The puppy farmers are the ones our British Kennel Club need to curtail. Rolling Eyes But they don't help by Kennel Club registering them and the K/C getting their registratation fees. The K/C a/c breeder requirement I'm not sure of. All the K/C really just wants is just another fee. They think they are helping but are they...........................................?
Four litters per bitch is more than enough, so perhaps the K/C at last is doing it's duty.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic