The First UK Co da Serra de Aires Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Itchy Ear View next topic
View previous topic
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nespa has an itchy ear. Sad Peculiarly, it only seems to happen in the early hours of the morning and not every morning. There have now been 3 occasions when it has happened spread over several weeks. I only know this because Nespa sleeps in our bedroom Embarassed I have never known it to happen at any other time. She begins to scratch her left ear and the irritation seems to get worse so that she then shakes her head quite strongly. She becomes quite agitated. The first time this happened I put some dog ear cleaning fluid into her ear and massaged it gently. In a little while she relaxed and the incident was over. I checked her ears and there seemed to be nothing wrong. Her ears are clean and smell sweet because I pull the hair out. It has now happened twice since, the most recent being last night. She seems to know the drops will bring relief and stands very well while I administer them. Smile I am beginning to think that she may need the vet to have a look inside the ear canal. May be there's deep wax that's causing the problem or something else. But why around 3 to 5 am? Odd Confused Any thoughts?

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We have had the same problem with Daisy over the past 18 months or so. It clears up and then re-appears. We took her to the Vets last week and a swab was taken, so we are awaiting the result. Her ear does smell of yeast and has a dark brown discharge. In the meantime, I am cleansing her ear with Clean Aural Sensitive (It smells rather like hayfever drops) and ear drops. Daisy does roll around the floor rubbing her ear violently at the moment. The vet also gave her a steriod injection.
Yesterday Daisy had a big mishap - She ran head on into a brick pillar in the garden (we think). We did not see what had happened but she was rolling on the floor in great pain. Peter said her legs were splayed out at the back. He thought that she had had a fit but I don't think this was the case. Peter went to console her and she bit him through his thumb nail. I was called upon as he did not know what to do. I think Daisy was so upset and frightened by the whole incident she ran up into our stables and hid. Her face was dripping wet and she had messed herself. She was fine with me and I got her back into the house and into a large indoor dog cage and settled her down. She recovered within an hour and has been fine today. It was chasing the postman that made her have this accident. So in future I will keep her indoors when he is around. Rolling Eyes I just hope her ears aren't anything to do with this.
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Poor Daisy, what a dreadful thing to happen, so upsetting. Let's hope Nespa's and Daisy's ears improve quickly. I will be interested to hear what happens and I'll keep you up to date. I hope Peter's injury is healing well. Rather painful ! What a day! Sad

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Poor Daisy (and Peter), I hope that it's just a one-off accident as you think - you'll have to see how she behaves around the brick pillar Wink . There is certainly something about postmen that make dogs go to extremes, we had a dog when I was young who put his head through a glass door to get the postman (and nearly did Shocked ) . Get well soon Daisy and Peter.
Peter & Gina willis
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just to report that Daisy went to the Vets yesterday to get the results taken from her ear swab. She has a fungus infection but is responding well with the drops and steriod injections plus tablets. She has had this condition on and off for past eighteen months so we are hoping that we can now control it. She is very well in herself. Very Happy
I also reported to the Vet about her accident of last weekend. So we are keeping our minds open on this one.
Also to let you know that Peter has almost recovered Wink thumb still swollen, so hopefully will be driving Spud to the Dulux Christmas Children's party tomorrow Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes He will probably need to lie in a darkened room after the party Exclamation So will Spud Laughing
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This is all very encouraging Gina. Lets hope Diasy is now out of the wars. I will monitor Nespa, all is quiet again and her ear isn't causing problems at the moment. However, I will go to the vet too should it happen again. Poor Peter, a sore thumb is a real nuisance but I am sure a children's party will take his mind of it. Wink Enjoy! Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

several months ago now chocolate has been an accident, leaving the morning he raced like crazy and who has telescoped with Zeca oncoming.
Chocolate remained unconscious for several minutes after this violent clash.
I took him to the vet who made more exams and said ......it's just a " ko "
But chocolate has shown no aggression towards us when we moved it .
For several weeks he presented a kind of pain and fear when he had something going on around him. Now it's the past is everything is back to normal!

Regarding the factor is a normal reaction in the dog, the postman comes very near their property, affects the mailbox!, in some ways ... it defies the dog ....

Peter & Gina willis
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Catherine. I can't ever remember any of my dogs knocking themselves out before but the Serra's .....................well they do love their guard dog duties Embarassed I do feel embrassed about the postman as Daisy hears his van coming from at least 3/4 mile away and he is a very nice man. Our postbox is attached to our gate so he does not have to venture into our property though.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic