The First UK Co da Serra de Aires Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Our Serra Journey View next topic
View previous topic
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My daugther is always complaining because same people can eat everything and don't get fat.May be Lola is very happy about all the nice treats and tasty food Laughing don't worry,she will be ok.Did u ever thougth about cooked food instead of dry food?i know it's a lot of work to cook for dogs(the rigth quantities of proteins,veg,etc etc)but may be u can mix them at least until she gets same pounds...
Good luck and bon apetite
teresa
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Joanna, you're a wonderfull, fantastic, great owner! You love your dog and pay attention and care for her. My sister has seven dogs, all of them but one rescued, the last one she picked up last week from a parking lot near were she lives, I tell you I never saw a dog look so much like he was about to die, the poor thing didn't get up for four days because she simply didn't have enough strength, her body is distorted from hunger, and some of my sister's other dogs were around the same when she took them home. Now, they're previous owners were terrible owners. You're wonderfull.
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh Joanna, dogs are great aren't they? Confused Finn had lost 2kg when last weighed and is now 23kg instead of 25kg. That can as a surprise to us as nothing had changed. And Bonita who eats the same amount of food each day as Finn still weighs 19 kg. She and Finn are the most active of the three. I hope Lola settles back into good weight soon. My own vet seems to encourage dogs to be kept on the 'lean' side. Nesp'a has been on reduced rations for sometime but doesn't seem to lose weight. Nespa has 100g of food for breakfast and 180g for dinner. Bonita and Finn each have 120g for breakfast and 225g for their evening meal. They all have the James Wellbeloved Ocean Fish and Rice Kibble mixture. Plus some little bits as rewards during the day but no biscuits. In the end, if all other signs are positive may be it's like people - we all vary. I look at a cake and gain a kilo. My husband - not a gramme. Sad keep us up to date with progress. All best wishes. P Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh thank you guys! Smile , you've made me feel a bit better! I'm sure it's just a 'blip' bearing in mind she was so poorly after her spay op I'm sure her body used up alot of energy/calories recovering and perhaps just needs a bit of time to 'top-up'. It's good to hear the comparisons in weight between the litter and their parents too, something to keep in mind when we go to the vets next time. Very Happy
Joanna
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello! Happy New Year to you all Very Happy I am very pleased to say that after a trip to the vet for another weigh-in Lola has gained weight and is now 21.20kg. They are pleased with this weight but we now have to maintain it and not fluctuate Rolling Eyes So we've got another weigh-in in 6weeks time when Lola is due her next wormer. We'll see!! Very Happy
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good news Very Happy Lets hope it all stays on. This weight thing is like a seesaw. Bonita and Finn were at the vets last week. Bonita because she hadn't been well and Finn for annual boosters and check up. Bonita too now weighs 21 kg and not a gramme of spare flesh. Finn weighs 27 kg all solid male. Can you believe it? Shocked I think the scales must be wrong. This means he's gained 4 kg since the beginning of December. As you know I weigh their food. The only difference has been less exercise because of the freezing weather, Christmas and I have had cold. The vet wasn't bothered. He thinks that they are in good shape. Pity about their owner Embarassed

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good to know that lola is back to a good weigth,21kg seems pretty good.Now Flinn 27kg....i hope fivos will not grow so much Laughing i want to be able to lift him if necessary and i'm not a big person myself,just 56 kg and a bad back Sad .
I imagine the weather in England to be much colder then here,how do u go for walks Question and if u don't how do the dogs stay at home Question i mean,can they stay quiet for more than a day inside Question i can't imagine fivos all day inside Rolling Eyes .Today it's very windy and may be 6C,for us it's cold,also the strong wind makes it seem colder,but fivos doesn't seem bothered at all by the cold or the wind,after 1 hour walk he just didn't want to get in Laughing young blood Laughing
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The dogs go out every day and as I have 3 they chase one another and stretch their legs well. However, it has been - 6 degrees celsius and at worst they have had just two short outings each day. This isn't the best for them as they miss the mental activity and can be very restless. So I play games with them indoors. For example I play tug with Bonita and a rope and Finn does tricks such as rolling over or shaking hands. Teaching the tricks is a great activity. Joanna, you did so well with Lola has she learned any more recently?

Last edited by Pauline Martin on Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
danni
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

well, karli is now almost 2 (birthday april 30.) she is 56 centimeters and 21 kilos, that is pretty normal, right? Laughing danniand karli Cool
Joanna
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It would seem that 21kg for a bitch is a good healthy weight so let's hope they all stay that way!
Yes it is rather cool outside but that doesn't bother our dogs does it?! It seems to me that Lola prefers the frost - even better for rolling in Wink Lola has 2 walks per day, one off-the-lead for 1 hour (sometimes with a tennis ball or football to play with) and the other walk is 3.30pm for 40mins (usually on the lead) around the streets, but even after that she's very active with fetch games and tug games in the evening until approx 9.30pm. I did get her a new treat dispenser for Christmas to stretch her mind ... I use that sometimes with some of her evening kibble in. Lola does do some tricks 'roll right over', 'shake paws', 'high five' and 'beg' but then if she smells the smallest of treats on another person they get one continuous beg from her and she becomes a pest Rolling Eyes Oh, and she does like to 'steal' handkerchiefs from my husband's trouser pockets too and run off with them Wink Laughing
Joanna
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Goodness me, have I really not posted anything since January?! oh dear Embarassed apologies! Lola is fit and well, we've been for yet another weigh-in at our vets (Lola dipped in weight in February to 20.8kg then 20.4kg in March and 20.2kg in April) even though we had been increasing her daily food portion but I'm glad to say that her May and now June weigh-in she is back to 21.2kg Very Happy (that is down to me increasing her food yet again she's now on 120g dry food for breakfast then 220g for evening meal and she also gets 2-3 large Bonio biscuits per day The vet is pleased that she's maintained the same weight over 6 weeks and has agreed that she is a naturally lean dog but advised me that if we have a period of time (like going on holiday) when she will be more active during the day with more walks and play etc, then we must increase her food again by 10g or so. I'm so pleased that she's stayed the same weight - going back every 6 weeks and being told that she's lost weight again made me feel so bad! But as the vet said, it is unusual these days to feel lean dogs, alot of the dogs they see for weigh-ins are usually overweight and on a diet Sad Mind you there's no fear of Lola doing too much exercise in this heat, the poor girl is puffing before we get down the end of the road. We have been having our morning walk slightly earlier at 7.30am to make sure it's quite a long one with ball chasing and running - although with a few stops for water and shade along the way, Cool luckily she's then tired enough to chill out for the day and then a gentle 35/40min stroll at about 5.30pm (again though, with lots of water stops! I think Lola just likes to drink out of the travelling water bowl! Wink ) It is lovely to have the light and warm evenings though, we were all out in the garden last night and Lola and Jack were playing football (Lola is great at 'heading' the ball!) until 9pm, I do so love the summer months! Very Happy Very Happy
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,good to have news from lola and to know that she's a nice slim girl,we all look foward to that Laughing is that so hot there?i wouldn't imagine it,here is still ok,hot but not too much,already enougth for me to feel happy about having fivos with short hair,so practical and easy for this summer months,of course it's already growing and for sure by the end of the summer he will be his hairy self Laughing
I guess my daugther must be more or less like Jack,she's 11 years old and i keep trying to find things for her to do with fivos,she loves him but doesn't spend as much time as i would need/wish playing with fivos.
Hope u keep having a lovely summer
Joanna
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi there Ani, you're right about the children not playing enough with their dogs, I should have taken photos of Jack with Lola because it doesn't happen enough - even though she absolutely adores him, however Lola gets her own way often enough ... just this weekend I couldn't find her so went upstairs and hey presto! opened Jack's bedroom door to find Lola laying on the bed with Jack while he was playing on his PlayStation! Surprised Cheeky girl, I guess she was getting whatever affection she could from him Very Happy
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

good morning,yes,you are rigth,probably all children are the same Laughing they are always busy,even when it means playing PSP or just staring at the ceiling Laughing i'm trying to convince Io(my daugthers name)that she has to give fivos at least an hour a day while i'm at work,she's in holidays so she has to find some time to spare.When i was her age i had a boxer and as far as i remember i was playing a lot with him,he was always waiting for me at the gate when i was coming from school and even "singing"while i played guitar Laughing ,probably i was since then a crazy dogs lover Laughing
Joanna
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds wonderful Ani, a singing boxer! Laughing
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

glad Lola is keeping her weight now. Bonita has 100g in the morning and 210g in the evening and she's also very lean around 20kg. Surprising really as she was the smallest og the litter. Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have decided to bite the bullet and take Lola to a dog groomers, we're booked in for Friday morning. I have been unlucky over the past few months to have suffered with a bad back which makes bending over Lola for any more than a few minutes extremely difficult and as I don't get any help with grooming from the 2 men in the house this job falls to me Rolling Eyes I can now see why people buy grooming tables for their animals, something I must do. Anyway, I have noticed a few mats on Lola under her neck and on her chest which I keep trying to have a 'go' at but she's very reluctant to be stretched and groomed in that area. So I'm ashamed to say that I need a little help to get her sorted and we can then start again with a clean slate. I have found a groomer who is experienced in long-haired breeds of dog and in fact she grooms and cuts a Briard from our sister-site (The Friendly Briard Club); Mr Bo Jangles Very Happy She uses scissors as opposed to clippers and understands that I want Lola de-matted and brushed with trimmed fringe, feet and bottom. I will take photos of Lola before and after and you can all give me your feedback. (be kind guys! Wink ) With Lola it's easy to get the seeds and grass out of her paws and legs but I find that because she's such a wriggler and roller in the grass and sand, little bits get deep into the coat and start to mat in the fine soft hair which is very close to the skin so obviously that can be uncomfortable. I would rather a dog groomer get to grips with these few mats before they get any bigger and more appear (I also think I use too much grooming spray which makes my brush and comb glide over the coat so I'm unaware of any mat 'growing' underneath). Watch this space...
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing join the club Laughing they look funny but it's sooooooooo much easier.
Joanna
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well we're home, goodness me it took the groomer 2 hours to bath and groom and trim Lola, she was a very patient girl and only started to fidget in the last 35mins. The groomer said Lola's coat was in great condition and the mats she had under her neck and chest weren't as bad as she had expected (which was a relief). Lola now has a nice neat fringe and trimmed feet but otherwise her coat has been left untouched - I was tempted to get a little cut off the length but the groomer didn't think that was necessary.

Would have posted the 2 photos here under this 'post' but can't seem to do it! Rolling Eyes Embarassed
Peter & Gina willis
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad you got Lola groomed Very Happy I've struggled with Daisy today trying to get knots out of her coat well underneath and down below. She usually likes to be groomed but not today but the weather is still very hot here.

I bet Lola is feeling really comfortable now she has had a good groom out. Well done!

Does the Summer heat cause more knots and matting in Serra's?

Can anyone tell me when to expect the first season in Serra's?

I have a feeling Daisy will shortly be coming into season as she is so sensitive today. What is the normal timings?

p.s. I'm glad we are not the only ones not able to have posted photo's on this site! Never mind we will keep trying!
teresa
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sara was 8 months when she had her first season, but if I remember right Lola was older and so was Bonita, so maybe Sara was a bit precocious about that, not average.
Peter & Gina willis
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks I will keep a close watch on Daisy but my boys are not interested at the moment - time will tell Rolling Eyes
Joanna
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

AAahhhh .... Seeds are the bain of my life at the moment! I'm forever checking Lola's paws and legs but still seem to find some that have buried their way into her coat. Poor girl, I keep telling her not to lick herself so vigorously because surely there's nothing to lick - only to check again and find another one threatening to puncture her skin ... thank goodness she's a thorough groomer unlike her owner Embarassed I have decided it may be a good idea to give her legs a light brush every evening after checking her paws just to encourage any other seeds out of her coat, they can cause such damage Sad
Joanna
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry Gina and Peter, forgot to say ... Lola was 10months when she had her first season, hope Daisy is doing well and still as beautiful? Very Happy
Peter & Gina willis
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Daisy still has not come into season. She was 10 months yesterday. The boys still not interested.

I've got a busy week next and the following week doing Dulux jobs and going away to Wales for the weekend for the Welsh Kennel Club Dog Show. (Only visiitng not showing). So I hope the dogsitter will let me know if anything happens with her. At least the boys will be with us.

Daisy is still playing up. Very lively. Peter let her off in the recreation field yesterday and she runs forever! But at least when you wave her lead in the air - she comes back. We have noticed she runs round and tracks every smell.
Joanna
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad Daisy is still well and behaving like a proper pup! the season can wait! You sound very busy the pair of you.
On another note, just been talking to a neighbour and fellow dog owner who has received some bad news about his boxer dog. The dog is only coming up to 3yrs old, has just recovered from yet another eye infection only to be told that he is now totally blind in one eye and the other eye is needing an emergency operation to save his sight and there are no guarantees that it will be successful Crying or Very sad Apparently it is a problem quite common in Collies and Jack Russells - the pupil dilates and the lens passes through but doesn't come back out so gets trapped behind the pupil, as does lots of fluid etc. Poor Buster the Boxer now has a blue blind eye which is being removed this week, I'm hoping his other eye can be saved, what an awful thing, I've never heard of eye parts moving like that and being so dangerous, anyone else come across this? Any advice for my neighbours who may now be having to deal with a totally blind young dog? Sad
Joanna
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just an update from me. The reason I've not been quite as good at putting posts on is because I started a new job (first one in 2 years) and boy am I finding it hard to get back into the swing of things! Rolling Eyes I now work every morning and so I am giving Lola her morning walk at 5.30am - Yes that's right 5.30am! I get back home at 1.45pm and get on with housework/chores etc, so by the time 9.00pm comes round I'm falling asleep! yes I know it's pathetic! After being at home and a lady of leisure for 2 years it's a shock to the system, but I'll get there and be back on track soon! Wink Lola has adapted really well, although I do have to encourage her off our bed first thing in the morning! I leave her with a small bowl of food and a kong stuffed with more breakfast and plenty of toys but she just sleeps (I think!) until I get home and when I do she doesn't want to go out in the garden, she just rolls onto her back and falls back to sleep ... makes me feel like I've interrupted her day! Very Happy
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

good luck with the job Very Happy Lola seems contented. After their breakfast my dogs will settle down. Nesp'a is always contented. It's Bonita and Finn who always want to be active. Laughing

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good Luck in the Job Joanne,

You will soon get back into the habbit, I work full time and take mine out at 5.00 am which is great no one around peace and quite. Then come home load into the car, get changed and go out to the field so they can have a good run around and a bit of hunting, then home to grooming and some studing. House work is confirned to the the weekends these days or if my Husband on a good day decides to do some.

It is a jugling act these days.
ani correia
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I guess i shouln't complain Smile i do work but i start at 9.00am and my office is only 5 minuts from the house,i can go with the dogs at 7.30 or 8.oo am and it's good enougth.Besides i can bring fivos to the office,something i've been doing this last week,since school started and my daugther is not at home anymore.He's very well behaved,just lays on my feet and waits,mostly sleeps Laughing ,but at least he's with me and not alone at home,i can always take him out for a while.Life is good in Serifos Laughing
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I believe I solved all problems when I was working. I was very lucky we had au pairs which meant the dogs had company and house was managed and even meals prepared. I was still responsible for walks etc and like you I would be up at early 6 am. Sad Now I have retired I do the housework. Sad But like today, it's sunny and the dogs have been helping me rake the leaves. Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I shall think of you Nicola whilst on my early walks - I will always know there's someone else out there at that time too! Leaves - this time of year must be Lola's favourite ... she can't run for a ball without throwing herself down for a good roll about in the leaves and dried grass, I seem to be permanently hoovering up after her at home! STOP PRESS ... came home from our afternoon walk and Jack had hoovered upstairs AND downstairs Shocked (in a typical teenager fashion of course Laughing ) I'm suffering from shock. Clearly there is a motive for this sudden passion in housework I bet it's gonna hurt! Wink Rolling Eyes
Jojo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello again Serra friends, it's been a long time since I have posted anything on this site, an awful lot has happened but far too much to go into. However, I am pleased to say that I'm back!! Wink I look forward to delving into the News and finding out how all of you (and your lovely Serra's) have been doing in my absence. x
Jojo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

By the way ... don't be fooled by the new username, it is me - Joanna, owner of Lola - I forgot my previous passwords and names! Embarassed
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Great to be in touch again Joanna - a very warm welcome back. Laughing

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic