The First UK Co da Serra de Aires Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Our Serra Journey View next topic
View previous topic
Joanna
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have downloaded a form from the Kennel Club website about registering Lola for Agility/Obedience/Flyball, etc., It's quite a detailed form and asks for Sire and Dams registration details if applicable - have you registered Finn and Nesp'a yet Pauline? Thought I'd ask before I completed the form! Smile
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I will look at the forms. Does it mean their registration numbers with the FCI? Confused I should get Lola's FCI registration number soon.

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The form asks for registration number of the dog with the (quote) "Kennel Club or any other recognised body, if the sire/dam is not registered, please include the sire's pet name if known" (unquote). I could either wait for the FCI reg nbr or wait until you register Finn & Nesp'a with the KC Agility register for that nbr or just leave it blank. Not sure what's best? Confused There's no hurry anyway Very Happy
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

OK! Finn's & Nespa's FCI numbers are on Lola's pedigree. I will register them both for agility and let you have the numbers. Neither Lola or Bonita should be involved in agility until at least 12 months old so there is time. Very Happy Thanks for the prompt. Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you Pauline - I won't be involving Lola with Agility just yet, but I would like the opportunity to 'vet' some local classes and enrol her once she's at a 'safe age'. That's assuming there are some classes in my area - watch this space Wink
chava
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello,it seems to me that you have to do a lot off paperwork Very Happy to get your dog to do Agility in the UK Question In belgium you yust go to the class with your european dog pasport and you can begin training.Later when and if you want to enter compititions you have to apply for a book for a working dog in witch are enterd your results Very Happy it seems more easy dont you think?

Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree - I have to say this quietly because of the power of The British Kennel Club but the organisation is very beaurocratic and autocratic. You also have to pay for your dog to be registered. Crying or Very sad May be that's to be expected. However, this is also part of other barriers that the BKC maintain so that its authority cannot be challenged in the UK. For example, the barriers that it maintains to make it very difficult for a breed that's already recognised by the FCI across Europe to be recognised in the UK. And you and I might have thought the UK was a member of the EU? Shocked

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

her on the continent we know the UK is only a member of the EU on his own terms Very Happy Very Happy Burocrasie is also a problem with awre kennelclub. Crying or Very sad here we have to pay for evrything the KUSH hase to do for you Rolling Eyes for example to register (is neded if somone asks him to be a daddy Very Happy ) Chava with KUSH it costs 60 en thats just to have somone come and controle if the chip number is correct and put a stamp on his pedgree. Cool .Do people who have a dog with no pedigree and want to do agility have to register?here there are also non recognised clubs for obediance and doggy dance who are very good Rolling Eyes only Confused if you are a member of KUSH you are banned if you follow lessons there Shocked

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

About time I posted something here ... Lola and Jack entered a charity dog show a few weeks ago (the sunday it snowed heavily), it was organised by another Portsmouth dog training club and we thought we'd go along to show off our girl. Jack decided to enter Lola into 3 classes: Best Condition Long Coat, Prettiest Bitch, Dog Judge Most Wants to Take Home. Sadly, we came away empty handed Sad much to Jack's disgust (and mine if I'm honest!) The first class (long coat) was the only time the judge actually put her hands on Lola - something we need to work on as she's really a fidget with strangers touching her, the only question she asked Jack was Lola's age - not her breed which was a little disappointing. Even though it was a small charity event I was really surprised at how many people there were present - very serious 'showing' people and their dogs, grooming brushes galore! I was very pleased with Jack and Lola, she stood still and behaved whilst other dogs were 'doing their thing' around the ring, it really was out of Jack's comfort zone too so we couldn't ask for more but I was surprised at how Jack and I reacted to Lola not even being given a 5th place for anything, we were quite aggrieved once we got in the car which is daft but I'm not sure 'showing' is for us - we take things too personally! How can you place an overweight Jack Russell Cross ahead of the beautiful Lola for prettiest bitch? come on! ... see what I mean? Rolling Eyes
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't give up! Very Happy You did very well. I have to agree I can never divorce the emotional involvment in such events and it can be painful. Sad It does sound as if 'there's nowt as blind as those who cannot (won't) see'. Being handled has been a bit of a feature in our obedience clases with a 'vet's check' and it has been helpful especially when the course leader has also been involved. Lola is still very young and she was in a strange environment too. Chins up! Laughing

Last edited by Pauline Martin on Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
chava
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Smile It is always hard when your dog is not getting th placing you think he merrits Very Happy .I think in the UK most yudges dont know the breed so they do not take any risks Smile showing in the UK is a very serius bissnes. Very Happy He behavede wel so there is notting else you can do. Razz judging and placing the dogs is the opnion of one person(the judge).If you go to a lot of shows you get alot of differend opinions.If you get a written report like in some contry's and at the end of the year yo compaire these note's Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes you are somtimes shocked by the complete differend things( contradictory observations)the judges write down Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Very Happy But at the end off the day you go home with the most beautiful dog Very Happy your owne aires.We to get very emotional when it comes to awre dogs Very Happy

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Emotional ... me ...? Absolutely! We will keep our eyes open for another local show with some fun classes in, to keep Jack out of mischief and give him something to do as well as Lola! Lola and I passed our KC Silver Test last night without any hiccups at all Very Happy but we have decided not to persue the Gold Test yet as I'm afraid to say that both Lola and I have been getting a bit bored during the training. I have been given the details of a local Agility Club so I shall go and check them out for when the time is right for Lola, which reminds me I must register on the Agility Register with the Kennel Club to get their information too, slipped my mind Embarassed
Joanna
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Went for a trip to the vets yesterday for more wormer and flea/tick treatments and got Lola weighed, she is now 20.25kg a fine strapping lass! Very Happy
Joanna
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

News just in ... our girl has just come into her first season. Any sign of Bonita or Zetta joining Lola? Poor girl, three weeks or so of road walking, she's not going to like that one bit especially as all her dog friends are boys so we've got to give them all a wide berth for a while, however it will do her nails the world of good!
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good ol' Lola! Nothing to report from Bonita. She's a bit lighter at 19.9kg which perhaps makes a difference. They are all 10 months old now so its the right time. happy walking. Rolling Eyes

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Can a bitch's seasons affect them like it does us human females? We have noticed Lola is a bit 'down', Sad she is definately wanting more contact and her energy levels have also dipped - today 40 mins into our walk she started to lag behind on the lead which is most unusual but perhaps that is also due to the muggy weather. She is also keeping very close to me around her mealtimes - almost pushing me towards her food drawer to get it sorted and in her dish pronto! Wink
Joanna
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry not to have been 'posting' much on the site recently - been very busy and just haven't got enough energy at the end of the day to sit in front of the computer - so apologies! Well, wish I could say things are great with our girl Lola at the moment but it's not too good here at all. Lola went in to be spayed last Thursday (all went well during the op) but her recovery hasn't been plain sailing. We were told that she wouldn't need to wear a collar because all her stitches are internal and she can't pull at them so nasty collars are not necessary ... however Lola has been attacking her wound viciously and made her skin very, very sore - we had all been so vigilant during the day with stern 'No' 'Leave' etc, and she was great but obviously at night she was left to her own devices and licked, and licked etc. So on our post-op check yesterday we were given some steriod cream to calm down the inflammation etc, which isn't nice to apply because she's so sensitive down there and now the collar is on permanently Sad . Anyway ... it goes on! ... the poor girl just hasn't been able to settle and sleep, she slept after the op on Thursday but by Friday morning was in a right state - leaping up and dashing about as if she'd been stung by wasp or something, we thought she must be uncomfortable and hoped the painkillers would calm things down but they didn't have any effect, - I thought if I stayed with her during the night she'd settle and sleep but she wouldn't let me comfort her at all, last night was the last straw and I rang our vet first thing. Poor Lola has been falling asleep sitting and standing up because laying down for more than a few minutes is obviously so uncomfortable for her. Not sure who's been more distressed the last few days - Lola or me Crying or Very sad however, thankfully our vet agreed with me and has today presribed stronger painkillers, sedatives for night time and then gave her a painkiller/sedative combination today (that's why I'm typing this - she's finally asleep). The vet thinks that perhaps a nerve has got damaged during the operation (although it's not common) and so its giving her sharp pain which should subside. That explains why she was attacking her wound so harshly - her belly has been painful Sad So, as they say, watch this space, I'm hoping that once she's had a few nights sleep and a couple more days have passed that the pain will also go and she can get back to being the happy, laid back girl she was before.
teresa
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry to hear Lola is not well, hope she'll soon feel better. I know when I got a c-section it wasn't nice for some time, it's not that different. Good luck.
danni
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am so sorry to hear about lola, I feel so bad for her, karli and I are thinking about her and that she get's well soon. danni
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Poor Lola Sad And I can understand how you feel pretty sad too Joanna. Sad I know in the past when dogs of mine have the op I felt dreadful having taken a bouncy healthy dog into the vet and then had to deal with the outcome. It will be wonderful when it's all better. Love to you both.

Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

How is Lola? Is she now making better progress? I do hope so. Thinking of you all. Very Happy

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm am absolutely delighted to say that our lovely girl Lola is now getting back to 'normal' Very Happy She woke up from a snooze Wednesday evening and seemed brighter - hubbie Richard got quite a good tail wag when he came home Rolling Eyes and yesterday she managed to sleep during the day without a large dose of painkillers and even wanted to play fetch in the garden - how do you tell her she's got to take it easy for a few more days?! Laughing This morning after a trip to the vet we have returned feeling more positive and relaxed than we have for a while - it's certainly been a long week Wink She's still wearing her lovely collar to ensure no nibbling and although the vet has said we can start to remove it occasionally I think I'll keep it on until her skin has renewed itself a little more - I know my girl can't resist the temptation of a good lick and I'm not going back to the vet again until booster injections are required, thank you very much! You are right Pauline - there is nothing worse than taking a happy healthy dog to the vet and returning with a poorly one, I haven't felt like a good, dog owner at all this week but I'm hoping that will change all the time Lola makes a good recovery. Smile
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What a relief Smile I am so pleased to hear of Lola's progress. Laughing I am sure it has been a heavy time for you all, so good news for every one.

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Very Happy Very Happy I am happy for you Razz Razz evrything is going to be ok in a few days

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

we are so happy, she is doing fine Laughing danni and crew Cool
Joanna
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh, thank you Serra lovers for your messages - it really is so good to know that there are other people out there sympathising and feeling for you and your dog when you're going through a bad patch, I really appreciate all your positive remarks and best wishes xxx

p.s. a certain Serra must be feeling Soo much better - she's lying on her back with legs spread wide - not very dignified I know but it's a wonderful sign that she's painfree and relaxed - Yippee! Laughing
Joanna
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm, having a few issues with Lola lately ... a couple of weeks ago I asked my husband to sit next to her whilst she ate her evening meal, as soon as he'd sat down next to her she let rip with a large growl Shocked I was not best pleased so her dinner was taken away immediately and we 'started over' just like in the early puppy days when we trained her to accept people whilst eating. So over the following days at both meal times she had to accept us putting our hands on the bowls and playing with her food, giving her handfuls of food at a time etc, and she did well - no more growling Very Happy However Exclamation 2 weeks on, I asked Jack to put his hand on Lola's food bowl and again another loud growl came from her Evil or Very Mad She was firmly chastised and so here we are again - more training around her food bowl. Do you think that Lola assumes Jack and Richard are NOT pack leaders - just followers like her and so are a threat at mealtimes around food? I could understand her behaviour if we had another dog but I won't tolerate ANY growling at ANY time! Just how much training do we need to do? I was going to carry on for a whole week then try and do it every other day? Any advice guys?! Confused
chava
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Rolling Eyes Ath this moment in time your dog yust like chava is becoming adult and is trying to move up the ladder in the pack(family).It is a normal behavoir for any dog you yust have to react like you dit before and let him know who is the boss and where is his place in the pack bey letting all the people who are ofcorse on a higer place than hem take away his food.You will have to do this evry time he makes any attempt to dominate ohter family members.Normaly in a few months thise attemps will stop en than he will know his place and become a self confidant happy dog who knows his place in the pack.You have to be consistant in your reactions and never let him win Rolling Eyes .Becose then he will not know his place and become insecure Rolling Eyes and not realy happy.

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dont suppose I'm going to be much help for luckyly none of my dogs ever growled at the family except maiby in puppyhood trying their luck and it was quickly corrected (I do remenber a dog when I was about 11 or 12 that growled a lot around food and getting down from the bed, but then I clearly wasn't in charge). Anyway I think it would be about reinforcing rules and limits, not only at meal times but at all times. Lola is adolescent so trying to see if she can step up on the leader position, that's normal but obviously needs to be stoped right away. I supose she works for what she wants? Sitting or something else before food, petting, play, going in and out of doors or the car, etc, walking politely on leash (or not going where she wants at all)? Not sure but mayby this isn't just about food, it's about her testing her limits and if she can get away with it? I firmly believe that a dog must learn that everything in the environment is controled by the owner, everything belongs to the owner. We provide them with everything they need to be balanced and healthy, still we give them those things, they don't take them from us. The family could all eat from her bowl before it's given to her (not her food of course, a cookie or something placed on top) because the leader always eats first. On walks she should never be in front, because the leader always leads the way. While playing it's the leader that decides when to begin and end the game and by wich rules it's played (she might have to sit between fetch or drop it and sit several times in the midlle of tug of war). All these help reinforce the humans as leaders. Also don't just work on stopping growling, reinforce what you want her to do instead of growling. Training the alternative behaviour works better than just trying to estinguish the unwanted one. Just some thoughts, hope it helps, you probably know all this and do it already. Anyway it's probably just a phase that will soon go away with your guidance. Good luck Very Happy
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lots of good advice here Joanna. I would only add: are you the only one who gives Lola her food? Both Jack and Richard should take turns so that they develop their relationship with her. I think the 'pups' are into the terrible teens. Bonita keeps barking to get attention - driving me mad Evil or Very Mad . I work hard to ignore it and praise the other dogs for being quiet - I don't think she understands yet. Wink

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I totally agree with pauline, jack and your husband should feed Lola and you go to the other side of the house Smile I am no ceser milan( I do not agree with alot things he does), but taking her food away when she growls, in my opinion is wrong, because it will make her more to guard her food. I had this problem with my briard, when he was a baby, an I would never take his food away. I was just very patient sitting with him while he ate and I d i d n o t play with his food either, and he got over it and I could probably eat out of the same bowl. the same goes for karli and diesel Very Happy so good luck Wink danni Cool and karli
Joanna
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you for all of your advice. Yes, it usually is me who feeds Lola especially in the morning as I'm the only one here! However I have been getting Richard and Jack to take turns in feeding her in the evening which I shall have to continue for some time I think, maybe make it one of Jack's daily chores from now on (not that it is a chore - you know what I mean!). She always does something before eating, sit, down, over etc and always waits for the command to 'take it' which is good but I do see her look at me for confirmation of the 'take it' if it's not me giving her the food so I do think she knows I'm pack leader but the other boys aren't! I think you are right, she is trying her luck and finding 'her place' in the pack now she is growing up - we all need to be consistent and hopefully she'll then understand the pecking order. Thanks guys - watch this space Very Happy
Pauline Martin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Joanna
Just to say how much I like the photograh of Lola on your signature. She looks great. Laughing Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you Pauline - thought it was about time I got to grips with all this technology at last Rolling Eyes Realised I had some Microsoft software on my computer that could resize photos easier than I have been doing in the past - anyone would think I was 100 years old the way I avoid anything other than typing! Wink This photo of Lola was taken in September - it's not the best but now I've tried it once I may change it! Very Happy

p.s. Agility Info all sent off at last!
Joanna
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well this isn't a nice post to put on the site and I almost didn't type it ... took Lola to the vet to be weighed and get some wormer and she's lost 2kg Shocked Crying or Very sad Can't believe it. When she was spayed in September she was 20.5kg and the vet was very happy with that but said I should reduce her food slightly as bitches can put on weight after this operation, so I followed his advice and reduced her food by just a small handful of food per day. Richard and I both thought she was feeling boney around the ribs so we have been giving her extra biscuits (bonios/winalot shapes etc). I did change her dry food to another brand just to excite her after she was so down with her spay operation but the vet thinks the new food isn't being absorbed by her body properly and therefore her body hasn't been getting enough nutrients or more importantly - calories. Thankfully her energy and personality seem to be ok so now we've got to go back to the old food and give her more of it for a while before another check-up early in the New Year. The vet isn't duly concerned (thankfully) as she's healthy but she needs fattening up! Although he did say that if she doesn't put on weight in the next 2 months we may need to look at tests for Food Intolerance, but I just think it's the change of food and less of it that's the key. Lola can't believe her luck - extra biscuits at funny times of the day and more wet food on top of dry food - christmas has come early for her. However, because she is so active it is difficult to give her so much extra food to put weight on quickly and healthily, I am giving her smaller meals but more of them so she can digest them - going back to puppy hood! (I have also been putting her on the lead and doing more road walks to avoid the mad dashing about she does - don't want her burning off more calories than I can put into her!) Rolling Eyes Feeling like a very bad dog owner AGAIN Embarassed Sad

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic